Building a Water Rocket: What Affects Launch Height?

In summary, the size of the nozzle, the weight of the payload, and the size of the fins all play a role in how high a water rocket can fly.
jackson
I'm Currently Making A Water Rocket And I Want To Obtain More Information About The Factors That Might Affect It From Launching Higher. Thanks For Your Help Really Appreciate It.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a trade off between more water (for propulsion) and less water to lower the mass. At school we use 1.5 - 2 litre soft drink bottles for the main bodies. You fill these to about the 1/3rd level for the highest and longest flights. 3 litre bottles are rubbish...

Nozzle size is also a factor, but the std drink bottle opening works fine. We use toy kits called 'Roket's to build them up.

Great fun, good Physics!

thanks adrian your help is very much appreciated

how the hell do u pressurise them ?
ive heard of these water rockets ,and i plan to build one of these but i live in India and i don't think i can get the kit here in India .but i'll try

how can the nozzle size be altered ? what kind of aerodynamic innovations do we need to minimise drag ?and what's the size of the fins [the thingys that stick out from the fuselage] for standard 2 litre softdrink bottle ?

my main problem remains pressurising the bottle ,do you require some kind of a gas pump or something like that ?

Also remeber to make it have the smallest wing span possible. Also you want to have a wieght at the top like a tennis ball or a racket ball. You need to do this so it has some wieght at the top also you need to have a smaller wingspan iwht yoru fins so as to not have it fly everywhere because even the smallest imperfection on a bottle rocket screws it up.

extreme_machinations said:
how the hell do u pressurise them ?
ive heard of these water rockets ,and i plan to build one of these but i live in India and i don't think i can get the kit here in India .but i'll try

how can the nozzle size be altered ? what kind of aerodynamic innovations do we need to minimise drag ?and what's the size of the fins [the thingys that stick out from the fuselage] for standard 2 litre softdrink bottle ?

my main problem remains pressurising the bottle ,do you require some kind of a gas pump or something like that ?

Here - have a look at the company website...

www.rokit.com

Also, type Rokit into Google for loads of info

Here's one of our rockets in action. (if I uploaded the file properly!)

They sure go high!

Attachments

• rocket.jpg
    rocket.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 411

1. What materials do I need to build a water rocket?

To build a water rocket, you will need a plastic bottle, a bicycle pump, water, and a launch pad. You may also want to gather materials such as duct tape, scissors, and cardboard for additional support and stability.

2. How do I determine the optimal water to air ratio for maximum launch height?

The optimal water to air ratio for maximum launch height varies depending on the size and shape of your rocket. It is generally recommended to start with a 1:1 ratio and adjust accordingly. Too much water can weigh down the rocket, while too little water can result in insufficient thrust.

3. What is the best angle to launch a water rocket for maximum height?

The best angle to launch a water rocket for maximum height is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for the rocket to gain maximum altitude while also maintaining stability. However, it is important to experiment with different angles to find the optimal one for your specific rocket design.

4. How do wind conditions affect the launch height of a water rocket?

Wind can have a significant impact on the launch height of a water rocket. Strong winds can cause the rocket to veer off course and lose altitude. It is best to launch a water rocket on a calm day with minimal wind to ensure maximum launch height.

5. Can I reuse my water rocket or do I need to build a new one for each launch?

Water rockets are typically reusable, but they may need some repairs or adjustments after each launch. The plastic bottle may become damaged or the fins may need to be reinforced. It is important to inspect and make any necessary repairs before each launch to ensure the best performance.