Calculating Resistive Force on Water Skier: Help Needed!

• Thread starter mattx118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: And the component of the weight at the top of the incline is mg+mg\theta.So your equation should be ( Ft-(Fk-Fparallel) ) / 292 = mg\theta.In summary, the tension in the rope is 1096.77 N.
mattx118
A 92 kg water skier is being pulled at a constant velocity. The horizontal pulling force is 380 N.

The question is asking for what is the total resistive force exerted on the skier by the water and air.

I am stumped at the moment how to calculate that if anyone can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattx118 said:
A 92 kg water skier is being pulled at a constant velocity.
What does that statement allow you to conclude about the net force on the skier?

The keywords are "constant velocity" meaning there is no acceleration! What does that tell you about the forces acting on the skier?

That means acceleration = zero right? But that doesn't help me because in F=ma, if a = 0 then (0)(92) = 0 for Force, and that's not correct.

I need to figure out the amoutn of friction that's what the problem is asking for i think

mattx118 said:
That means acceleration = zero right? But that doesn't help me because in F=ma, if a = 0 then (0)(92) = 0 for Force, and that's not correct.
Actually it is correct, but you have to know what it means. The F in F = ma stands for the net force on the object. Just because the net force is zero, doesn't mean no forces are acting---it just means they add to zero.

Identify the (horizontal) forces that act on this skier.

Well it says there's 380 N horizontal pulling force, is that 380 net force? Meaning including Frictional Force and The applied force?

That 380 N is not the net (meaning total) force, it's only one force. (We already know the net force is zero, right?)

Here's a big hint: If there's a force of 380 N pulling one way, what must be the magnitude and direction of the resistive force (the only other force) if they must balance out---add to zero?

When it finally clicks you'll think that it couldn't be that easy. But it is. :smile:

Or would that mean if the skier is moving at constant velocity that they two forces are at equilibrium and the frictional force would be 380 also or -380?

mattx118 said:
Or would that mean if the skier is moving at constant velocity that they two forces are at equilibrium and the frictional force would be 380 also or -380?
Absolutely!

Ahh that is very easy I got the answer now. Thanks a lot

Well I'm having trouble with a harder one than that if your up for helping :). I know I probably have a minor problem with it. Heres the question.

A 292-kg log is pulled up a ramp by means of a rope that is parallel to the surface of the ramp. The ramp is inclined at 34.0° with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the log and the ramp is 0.880, and the log has an acceleration of 0.700 m/s2. Find the tension in the rope.

Ok here's what I got. I got myself a diagram drawn and I have the mg force exerted on the log going down which is (292*9.8) = 2714.6 which gives me my right side of my triangle. And the angle of incline is at 34 and I put the that angle in the top portion of my triangle because the angles are similar. So I've done Tan(22) * 2714.6 to find the bottom portion of the traingle or F(parallel) which I got as 1096.77. So that is the downward force acting on the Log. I also need to find the Frictional Force, which i got as 2518.21 (which is from the equation Fk=MkFn). And so those together are the forces acted down on the log. So my final equation i came up with is
( Ft-(Fk-Fparallel) ) / 292 = 0.700 ... ( Ft - 4448.98 ) / 292 = 0.700 and I got Ft to be 4653.38. However, that's not right. Is there something I did wrong, and I hope you can understand my work its hard typing it out here.

One problem I see is that you messed up in finding the parallel and perpendicular components of the log's weight. Rethink those triangles: The weight (mg) is the hypotenuse of the triangle, the components are the other two sides. The component of the weight parallel to the incline is [itex]mg sin\theta[/itex], perpendicular to the incline (equal to the normal force) is [itex]mg cos\theta[/itex].

1. How is resistive force calculated on a water skier?

The resistive force on a water skier can be calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where ρ is the density of water, v is the velocity of the skier, A is the frontal area of the skier, and Cd is the drag coefficient. This formula takes into account the factors that affect the resistance experienced by the skier while moving through the water.

2. What is the drag coefficient and how does it affect resistive force?

The drag coefficient (Cd) is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag or resistance experienced by an object moving through a fluid. It is dependent on the shape and surface properties of the object, as well as the fluid's viscosity. A higher drag coefficient means a greater resistance experienced by the skier, resulting in a slower speed.

3. How does the frontal area of the skier impact resistive force?

The frontal area of the skier is the surface area of the skier facing the direction of motion. It affects the resistance experienced by the skier as a larger frontal area means a larger surface area for the water to push against, resulting in a higher resistive force. This is why skiers often try to keep a streamlined body position to reduce their frontal area and minimize resistive force.

4. Is the resistive force on a water skier constant?

No, the resistive force experienced by a water skier is not constant. It varies depending on factors such as the speed of the skier, the drag coefficient, and the frontal area. As the skier's speed increases, the resistive force also increases due to the squared term in the formula. However, at very low speeds, the resistive force may be negligible.

5. How can resistive force be reduced for a water skier?

To reduce the resistive force experienced by a water skier, one can try to reduce their frontal area by maintaining a streamlined body position. Additionally, using equipment such as a wet suit or a hydrodynamic ski can also help minimize resistive force. Skiers can also choose to ski in calmer waters with less turbulent currents to reduce the resistance they experience.