1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Slide Problem

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    "If the height of the water slide is h = 3.2m and the person's initial speed at point A (at the top of slide) is 0.54m/s, at what location does the swimmer splash down in the pool?"

I need help with this guys. It may be relatively easy, but I'm not seeing it. I don't know what formula to apply here. I have an initial velocity and a height of the slide. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2
    Is that all the info given in the question? You can use conservation of energy to find the final velocity of the person, but from there I'm not sure what it is asking for.
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    It's asking for the distance from the end of the slide to the point where the swimmer splashes in the water.
  5. Oct 21, 2005 #4
    How do I add an image?
  6. Oct 21, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

In additional options, manage attachments. Well you know the Normal force will be 0 when the person is in the air about to splash.
  7. Oct 21, 2005 #6
    This is a picture of the problem I'm having difficulty with. Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. Oct 21, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Ok now with the picture is clearer, just find the speed at 1.5 m throught conservation of energy and then work it out with kinematics (uniform acceleration neglecting air drag)
  9. Oct 21, 2005 #8

Homework Helper

The "projectile" is launched from 1.5m above the pool,
    with a horizontal velocity.
  10. Oct 22, 2005 #9

Gold Member

After getting the horizontal speed, you have to find the time that it takes to fall 1.5m (h=(g*t^2)/2) then you find the horizontal distance that the kid went by x=vt.
  11. Oct 25, 2005 #10
    Would I use the formula v=square root of 2gh to figure out v2?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?