What is the velocity and pressure of water in a narrowed pipe?

In summary, the water with a pressure of 120 kPa and a velocity of 1.9 m/s flows through a rectangular pipe and narrows to one half of its original diameter. Using the equation v1A1 = v2A2, the velocity at the narrower point is calculated to be 3.8 m/s. However, using Bernouilli's equation, it is determined that the pressure at the narrower point is actually 60 kPa. The force and energy remain the same, but the pressure decreases due to the change in area.
Foghorn

Homework Statement

Water with pressure of 120 kPa is flowing through a rectangular pipe with velocity 1.9 m/s. At one point, the pipe narrows to one half of its original diameter. What is the velocity of the water at this narrower point? What is the pressure?

Homework Equations

v1A1 = v2A2?
P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the pressure was irrelevant to figuring out the velocity in this equation, since water is basically incompressible. So, I just established v2 as the unknown variable...

1.9 m/s * A = v2 * A/2

(1.9 m/s * A)/(A/2) = v2

v2 = 3.8 m/s

For the pressure, I said that no change in energy is going to occur, so there's not going to be any change in force either...

120 = F/A
P2 = (F/.5A)

.5P2 = F/A
.5P2 = 120
P2 = 60 kPa

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer to the first part is right. However, as the pipe narrows, the area halves, and the energy remains the same. Pressure is the same as energy per unit volume (J/m^3), so if energy remains the same, I don't think the force can be the same.
I would use Bernouilli's equation:
P_1 + 0.5p*v_1^2 = P_2 + 0.5p*v_2^2
where p is the density of water (about 1000 kg/m^3)
I may be wrong on this, but this is what I think.

1. How does the diameter of a pipe affect water speed?

The diameter of a pipe affects the water speed through it by creating resistance to the flow. The smaller the diameter, the greater the resistance and the slower the water speed. This is because a smaller cross-sectional area of the pipe means there is less space for the water to flow through, resulting in a decrease in speed.

2. What is the relationship between pressure and water speed in a pipe?

The pressure of water in a pipe directly affects its speed. The higher the pressure, the faster the water will flow through the pipe. This is because a higher pressure creates a greater force on the water, pushing it through the pipe at a faster rate.

3. Can the material of a pipe affect water speed?

Yes, the material of a pipe can affect water speed. A smoother material, such as PVC or copper, will result in less friction and resistance to the water flow, allowing for a faster speed. However, rougher materials like concrete or rusty metal can create more friction and slow down the water speed.

4. How does gravity impact water speed through a pipe?

Gravity plays a significant role in determining the water speed through a pipe. The steeper the slope of the pipe, the faster the water will flow downhill due to the force of gravity. However, if the pipe is level or has an upward slope, gravity will have less of an effect and the water speed will be slower.

5. Can the temperature of water affect its speed through a pipe?

Yes, the temperature of water can impact its speed through a pipe. As water temperature increases, its molecules become more energetic and move faster, resulting in a higher water speed through the pipe. Conversely, colder water will have slower speed due to its lower energy and slower molecular movement.