1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Water speed

Tags:
  1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    If you was to pour the same about of water though a thin funnel say 1 inch and through a big funnel say 5 inch which of the funnels will the water reach a higher speed ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Do you literally mean "the same amount" ? - such as 1 gallon ?

How is the experiment done? Do we plug the funnel temporarily, put the water in it and then unplug the funnel? Or are we pouring the water into the funnel from some other container ?

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3
    Yeah say 1 gallon and just poured straight into the funnels the bigger funnel will let more water though yes but which of the two will get a higher speed of water my opinion is the smaller funnel because of the mass of water forcing it's way through a smaller hole will cause more of a pressure and will cause a higher speed ?

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Much too vague. You should leave out the pouring, as it introduces many parameters, which will affect the result.

6. Sep 3, 2016 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You'll have to be more specific in order to define a scientific experiment. For example, someone might pour water into a funnel in a thin stream that would go out the funnel without ever touching the sides of it. I think the shape of the funnel matters. Off hand, I don't know if most real funnels have sides with the same slopes.

There also a difference between the velocity of the water as a flow rate ( gallons per second) and "how fast" all the water is completely drained from the funnel ( seconds).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted