Water Supply on Cruise ships

In summary, cruise ships and ocean liners use a combination of desalination systems and taking on water from their destination ports to store clean water aboard. This is similar to how Navy ships operate, using RO machines or distilling to make water and topping off tanks in port. The Queen Mary 2 is an example of this process and it is likely used on other cruise ships as well.
Biosyn
Do cruise ships store clean water aboard in tanks or do they use desalination systems? Or do they take on water from their destination ports?
I did a search online and I couldn't find any reliable sources.

Is it any different on an ocean liner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Navy ships make water using RO machines or distilling but top off their water tanks in port with city water. I can't imagine cruise ships would do any different.

They use flash evaporators or reverse osmosis, but I would imagine that they keep a large quantity on hand and/or fill it from a municipal source whenever possible for cost reasons.

Thanks for the responses!

Could anyone of you give me references/articles about water treatment onboard cruise ships or ocean liners? That would be greatly appreciated!

Biosyn said:
Is it any different on an ocean liner?

You can find out how it's done on the Queen Mary 2 by looking on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

(are there any other ocean liners in regular passenger service nowadays?)

jtbell said:
You can find out how it's done on the Queen Mary 2 by looking on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary_2

(are there any other ocean liners in regular passenger service nowadays?)

Thank you! I assume it'll be the same on cruise ships by Carnival, Royal Carribean, Norwegian

1. How is water supplied on cruise ships?

Water on cruise ships is typically supplied through a combination of onboard water treatment systems and port water sources. The water is treated and filtered before being stored in onboard tanks for use.

2. Is the water safe to drink on cruise ships?

Yes, cruise ships are required to meet strict guidelines for water quality set by the World Health Organization. The onboard water treatment systems and regular testing ensure that the water is safe for consumption.

3. How much water is used on a cruise ship?

The amount of water used on a cruise ship varies, but on average, a cruise ship can use up to 1 million gallons of water per week. This includes water for drinking, cooking, cleaning, and other onboard activities.

4. What happens to wastewater on cruise ships?

Wastewater on cruise ships goes through a treatment process before being discharged into the ocean. This process includes removing solid waste, treating the water with chemicals, and filtering it before it is released.

5. Can cruise ships run out of water?

Cruise ships have large water storage tanks and advanced water management systems in place to prevent running out of water. However, in the event of an emergency, ships can arrange for additional water supplies from ports or other ships in the area.