Why Does Water Taper When Falling?

• Thread starter TFM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: If a tap is turned on gently to give a continuous stream of water, the column of water tapers (i.e. the width of the column decreases) as is falls. This is because as the water leaves the tap it has a constant velocity, but as it falls down, gravity accelerates the water. This means that the water at the bottom is going faster than the water at the top. Since the amount of water is constant, the water increases its density and makes itself have a smaller volume as it falls down, meaning that the bottom is thinner then the top.
TFM

Homework Statement

If a tap is turned on gently to give a continuous stream of water, the column of water tapers (i.e. the width of the column decreases) as is falls. Explain this observation. Show that the cross-sectional area, A, of the column at a point P below the mouth of the tap is inversely proportional to the velocity of the water at P.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I have written:

"The water tapers because when the water leaves the tap it has a constant velocity, but as it falls down, gravity accelerates the water. This means that the water at the bottom is going faster than the water at the top. Since the amount of water is constant, the water increases its density and makes itself have a smaller volume as it falls down, meaning that the bottom is thinner then the top."

What I am not sure of is the second part:

Show that the cross-sectional area, A, of the column at a point P below the mouth of the tap is inversely proportional to the velocity of the water at P.

What I have written kind of agrees, the cross-sec. area at the top, where it is slowest, is greater then the cross-sec. area at the bottom, where it is fastest, but I am not sure how to prove it.

Any suggestions?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
The density of water do not change (actually it is very hard to compress water).
It's much simpler. The rate of flow (m^3/s) is constant along the column of liquid. Remember that
rate of flow = v *A

so

[tex] rate of flow = v*A [/tex]

Where v is the velocity, A is the area

since this is constant, then

[tex] v_1*A_1 = V_2*A_2 [/tex]

so if V1 is greater then V2, the area will have to decrease. But how do I show the cross-sectional area, A, of the column at a point P below the mouth of the tap is inversely proportional to the velocity of the water at P?

TFM

v1*A1=v2*A2=v*A = Q = constant
So A=Q/v for any point. This means "inversely proportional".

Ah, thanks :smile:

TFM

1. What is the "Water Taper Problem"?

The "Water Taper Problem" is a phenomenon that occurs when a body of water, such as a lake or river, gradually decreases in volume due to various factors such as evaporation, human consumption, or climate change.

2. How does the "Water Taper Problem" affect ecosystems?

The "Water Taper Problem" can have a significant impact on ecosystems as it alters the water levels and flow of a body of water, which can disrupt the natural habitat and food sources of plants and animals that rely on it for survival.

3. What are the potential consequences of the "Water Taper Problem"?

The consequences of the "Water Taper Problem" can include reduced water availability for human consumption and irrigation, loss of biodiversity in affected ecosystems, and economic impacts on industries that rely on the affected body of water.

4. What can be done to address the "Water Taper Problem"?

There are various strategies that can be implemented to address the "Water Taper Problem," such as implementing water conservation measures, increasing water storage capacity, and managing water usage more sustainably.

5. How can individuals help mitigate the "Water Taper Problem"?

Individuals can help mitigate the "Water Taper Problem" by practicing water conservation in their daily lives, supporting sustainable water management policies and initiatives, and staying informed about the issue and its impacts on the environment.