Calculate Water Temperature in Copper Pipe After 1km

In summary: The decrease in temperatur as a function of time can be found by integrating the temperature against distance graph. To do this, you need the initial temperature, the time it takes for the water to travel the given distance, and the temperature at the end of the distance.
LostInSpace
Hi! I have a problem that I need to solve. I was really hoping someone could help me get started. It should be simple...

I have a pipe made out of copper with an inner diameter of 50mm and a thickness of 5mm (i.e. outer diameter is 55mm). Around this pipe is an isolating layer with a thermal conductivity of 0.04W/(mK) followed by a plastic layer with a thermal conductivity of 0.15W/(mK). The total diameter of the pipe is 160mm.

Now we want to send water with an initial temperature of 80C (about 353K) through the pipe. The water travels at a speed of 0.5m/s and the temperature of the surrounding is 7C (about 280K).

I need to approximate the temperature of the water after 1km.

I of course do not expect anyone to solve this for me; I just need help getting started.

Thanks in advance!
/Nille

Science news on Phys.org
First, a question to clarify the diameters:

If the bore diameter of the copper pipe is 50mm, and the wall thickness is 5mm, then the outside diameter would be 60mm.

On the other hand, if the outside diameter is 55mm, then the wall thickness would only be 2.5mm.

Now to the problem. Start by calculating the mass flow of water, in kg/sec, and look up the specific heat capacity of water.

Now if you assume that in the first metre of pipe, the temperature won't change that much, you can work out the total heat loss for the first metre of pipe, where the temperature difference between the water and the air is 73K (80 - 7).

Knowing the heat loss, the mass flow, and the specific heat capacity, you can calculate the temperature change after the first metre length.

In principal, you can then repeat this for the next metre, with the new water temperature and so on. A computer program could add together all the temperature drops across each small length of pipe to get the total temperature loss.

Once you have a feel for the problem, shorten the lengths of pipe you consider down to a tiny increment, instead of one metre. This will make the result more accurate. You'll end up with a tricky integral, if you want an exact answer, and don't wish to use numerical methods.

Hi! Thanks for responding! And I'm sorry about the typo... it should be 60mm.

What about the time factor? If you check at any given point in the pipe, the temperatur is always the same, right? I would like to know the temperatur after 1km, and I know the speed of the water so I know the time the water has traveled when it reaches that point. So, couldn't I just look at that point, compute the time the water has been cooled (the time it has traveled) and calculate the loss from that?

Thanks in advance!
Nille

Yes, the temperature at any given point will remain constant. The temperature loss won't be at a constant rate though. It will decrease faster near the start of the pipe, where the pipe is hottest. A graph plotting the temperature against position will show an exponential decrease.

I've not looked at the figures yet, so I don't know how the numbers will come out, but you might lose say 5 degrees in the first 100 metres (20 seconds) and then you'd lose about 5 * (73 - 5) / 73 degrees in the next 100 metres, or 20 seconds. The heat loss would only be 68/73 of the loss in the first part, as the temperature difference from inside to outside the pipe is now only 68 degrees, rather than 73.

The example above assumes the temperature against distance graph would be a staircase, but actually, of course, it will be a smooth curve. That's why you'll get a more accurate result by considering small increments of pipe length (or time, which amounts to the same thing).

Last edited:
Thanks again for your help!

Lets say I split the pipe into section of 5 metres. In a section I would get something like [tex]T_i = f(t) * T_{i-1}[/tex] where [tex]f(t)[/tex] is the decrease in temperatur as a function of time. Given the number of sections, the time can easily be found. But how to I found the decrease in temperatur as a function of this time?

Thanks again!
Nille

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the water temperature in a copper pipe after 1km?

To calculate the water temperature in a copper pipe after 1km, you will need to use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q represents the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will also need to consider factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the diameter of the pipe, and the thermal conductivity of copper.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. It is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

3. How does the initial temperature of the water affect the calculation?

The initial temperature of the water will affect the calculation because it will determine the starting point of the temperature change. If the water is already at a high temperature, it will require more energy to raise its temperature further, resulting in a lower final temperature in the copper pipe after 1km.

4. What is the thermal conductivity of copper?

The thermal conductivity of copper is a measure of how well it can transfer heat. It is approximately 401 watts per meter per degree Celsius. This means that copper is a good conductor of heat, making it a popular choice for pipes used in heating and cooling systems.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating water temperature in a copper pipe after 1km?

Yes, in addition to the factors mentioned earlier, you may also need to consider the ambient temperature, the rate of flow of water through the pipe, and any insulation or external factors that may affect the transfer of heat. It is important to carefully consider all relevant factors to get an accurate calculation of the water temperature in a copper pipe after 1km.