Calculating Water Vapor Requirements for Temperature Change of a System

In summary, a problem involving the addition of water vapor to ice in order to reach a final temperature of 35° C is solved by equating the energy emitted by the vapor to the energy taken up by the ice, resulting in the correct answer of 22.7 g. Careful attention to signs and calculations involving the specific heat capacity of water (4.19 kJ/kg) and the latent heat of vaporization (2260 kJ/kg) are necessary for accurate results.
Attis

Homework Statement

How much water vapor (100 ° C) should be added to 120 g of ice (0 ° C) so that the final system has a final temperature of 35° C.

Homework Equations

Qvapor = lvapor * mvapor during condensation, where lvapor =2260 kJ/kg
Q1 = cwater*mvapor*ΔT during cooling, and cwater = 4,19 kJ/kg

Qmelting =lmelting * mice during melting, and lmelting =333 kJ/Kg
Q2 = cwater*mice*ΔT during heating

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy which is emitted by the vapor is given by: Qvapor + Q1 = 2260m + 4,19*m*100

Energy taken up/used by the ice is given by: Qmelting + Q2 =
333*0,120 + 4,19*0,120*35

I then set energy emitted = energy taken up by the ice and solved for m

2260m + 4,19m*100 = 333*0,120 + 4,19*0,120*35
m= 0,0215 kg or 21,5 g.

Do you think this is the correct way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct, but your numbers are not:
Attis said:
Energy which is emitted by the vapor is given by: Qvapor + Q1 = 2260m + 4,19*m*100

Ok. I don´t see which number could possibly be wrong? The temperature change is + 100 degrees, 4,19 kJ/kg is cwater, and 2260 is lvapor (according to my somewhat dated textbook).

Attis said:
The temperature change is + 100 degrees
That's the number that's incorrect.

I tried calculating m using both -100 degrees and +135 degrees, and still got the wrong answer.

Attis said:
I tried calculating m using both -100 degrees and +135 degrees, and still got the wrong answer.

Don't plug in numbers randomly.

What does ##\Delta T## stand for in the equation ##Q = c m \Delta T##?

ΔT stands for Tfinal - Tinitial, but using Tfinal = 35 and Tinitial= 100 gives a ΔT = -65, and a m = 0,0289 g, which is also the wrong answer.

Could it be you forgot the 4,19*0,120*35 ? Or the 4,19*m*65 ? My guess: the latter!

Attis said:
ΔT stands for Tfinal - Tinitial, but using Tfinal = 35 and Tinitial= 100 gives a ΔT = -65, and a m = 0,0289 g, which is also the wrong answer.

Careful with the sign. You have defined ##Q_1## as the amount of energy given by the condensed steam to the final mixture.

I still don´t get it. Did you mean the negative sign? I tried using + 65, but the answer still turns out wrong (m = .00695). The answer is supposed to be 22,7 g.

Solving 2260m + 4,19m*65 = 333*0,120 + 4,19*0,120*35 for m, you should indeed get m=0.0227 kg.

Likes 1 person
I must´ve pressed something wrong on my calculator. Was a bit hasty...as usual. Now I got the right answer though. Thanks!

Fr0m the 28.9 g (the 0.0289 was kg) it follows you forgot the 4,19*m*65. Elementary, my dear Watson.

Likes 1 person

1. What is water vapor thermodynamics?

Water vapor thermodynamics is the study of the physical and chemical properties of water vapor, including its behavior and energy exchange with its surroundings.

2. How is water vapor formed?

Water vapor is formed through the process of evaporation, which occurs when liquid water is heated and transforms into a gas state.

3. What factors affect the behavior of water vapor?

The behavior of water vapor is affected by temperature, pressure, humidity, and the presence of other substances in the surrounding environment.

4. How does water vapor play a role in the Earth's climate?

Water vapor is a powerful greenhouse gas, meaning it traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere and contributes to the Earth's overall temperature. It also plays a role in the formation of clouds and precipitation.

5. What is the significance of water vapor thermodynamics in industries?

Understanding water vapor thermodynamics is crucial in industries such as meteorology, agriculture, and HVAC systems. It also plays a role in the development of renewable energy sources, such as hydropower and solar energy.