1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water wave

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    This question is related to the wave nature of light from Giancoli:

Water waves having parallel crests 2.5cm apart pass through two openings 5cm apart in a board. At a point 2.0m beyond the board, at what angle relative to the "straight-through" direction would there be little or no wave action?

The reason I am having a problem with this question is because I cannot visualize what a "parallel crest watever wave" is. Is it like the one in this picture (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/imgpho/sinslitwid.gif) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2
    Yes, those are paralllel crests.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    how can i find the wavelength of the water wave?
    Is it simply just 1/2.5cm or 40m?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  5. Apr 30, 2005 #4
    what's the definition of wavelength?

6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    distance from crust to crust, gottcha

7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    I find the angle to be 14.48 degree, but I didn't use the 2 meters that the question provdied. Am I missing something?

I use [tex] d sin (\theta) = (m + \frac {1}{2} )(0.025m)[/tex] where d = 0.05m, and m = 0 to find [tex]\theta[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  8. May 1, 2005 #7

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the problem asked you for the angle, and not a distance from the midpoint, you do not need the 2m as long as that distance is much greater than a wavelength. If the distance were only a couple of wavelengths, the approximations used to derive the equation you used would not be justified. Look carefully at this diagram and you will see that there are two angles [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta^\prime[/itex] that are only approximately equal.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/slits.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?