Water Waves - Group Velocity

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, we can find the group velocity by using the formula Vg = dω/dx, where ω is the angular frequency and x is the position. For the specific case given, we can substitute the given wavelengths (λ1=0.99 cm and λ2=1.05 cm) into the equation to find the group velocity. We can also use the formula Vg = Vp - λ(dVp/dλ) to find the group velocity. The distance between adjacent crests and beats can be found using the formula d = λ1 - λ2, and in this case, they will be the same since there are only two wavelengths present in the group.
JazzCarrot

Homework Statement

The motion of short wavelength (about 1 cm or less) ripples on water is controlled by the surface tension S. The phase velocity of such ripples is given by;

[tex] V_{p}^{2}=2\pi S/\rho \lambda [/tex]

where ρ is the water density, and λ is the wavelength.

(a) Which of the formulae is equal to the group velocity, vg, for a disturbance comprising wavelengths close to a given λ?

25/4(vp)
5/2(vp)
vp
25/4(vp^2)
3/2(vp)

If the group consists of only two wavelengths, λ1 = 0.99 cm and λ2 = 1.05 cm, what is the distance between adjacent crests?

f the group consists of only two wavelengths, λ1 = 0.99 cm and λ2 = 1.05 cm, what is the distance between adjacent beats?

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{g}=\frac{\partial \omega }{\partial x} [/tex]

and

[tex]V_{g}=V_{p}-\lambda \frac{d V_{p}}{d\lambda }[/tex]

This is the problem really, I am not sure if this is the right way of tackling it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know the answer is 3/2(vp) (I decided after being stuck that I could try and work backwards from the answer, but still no luck). I have no idea how to get there really, I've tried differentiating the Vp equation, wrt to [tex]\lambda[/tex], but it doesn't really help me... but I do get a 3/2 out of it.

I haven’t really attempted the second 2 parts, but looking at them I don't think I understand what to do their either.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your questions.

Firstly, to find the group velocity, we can use the formula Vg = dω/dx. In this case, we can substitute the given formula for Vp into this equation and differentiate it with respect to λ. This will give us Vg in terms of λ. Then, we can substitute the given wavelengths (λ1=0.99 cm and λ2=1.05 cm) into the equation to find the group velocity for this specific case.

For the second part, we can use the formula Vg = Vp - λ(dVp/dλ). Again, we can substitute the given formula for Vp and differentiate it with respect to λ to get Vg in terms of λ. Then, we can substitute the given wavelengths into the equation to find the group velocity for this specific case.

As for the distance between adjacent crests and beats, we can use the formula d = λ1 - λ2. In this case, the distance between adjacent crests will be the same as the distance between adjacent beats, since there are only two wavelengths present in the group.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the group velocity of water waves?

The group velocity of water waves refers to the speed at which the energy of a group of waves is propagated. It is the speed at which the peak or crest of the wave group moves through the water.

2. How is group velocity related to phase velocity?

Group velocity and phase velocity are related in that they both describe the speed of a wave. However, while group velocity refers to the speed of the wave group, phase velocity refers to the speed of an individual wave within the group.

3. How does the group velocity of water waves vary with depth?

The group velocity of water waves is affected by the depth of the water. In shallow water, the group velocity is slower due to the drag of the ocean floor. In deep water, the group velocity is faster as there is less drag from the ocean floor.

4. Can the group velocity of water waves be greater than the speed of light?

No, the group velocity of water waves cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because water waves are governed by the laws of classical mechanics, while the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity.

5. How is the group velocity of water waves measured in real-world applications?

The group velocity of water waves can be measured using specialized equipment such as wave gauges or radar systems. These instruments measure the distance between wave crests and use this information to calculate the group velocity. Additionally, mathematical models and simulations can also be used to estimate the group velocity of water waves.