1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water Waves - Group Velocity

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The motion of short wavelength (about 1 cm or less) ripples on water is controlled by the surface tension S. The phase velocity of such ripples is given by;

[tex] V_{p}^{2}=2\pi S/\rho \lambda [/tex]

where ρ is the water density, and λ is the wavelength.

(a) Which of the formulae is equal to the group velocity, vg, for a disturbance comprising wavelengths close to a given λ?

25/4(vp)
    5/2(vp)
    vp
    25/4(vp^2)
    3/2(vp)

If the group consists of only two wavelengths, λ1 = 0.99 cm and λ2 = 1.05 cm, what is the distance between adjacent crests?

f the group consists of only two wavelengths, λ1 = 0.99 cm and λ2 = 1.05 cm, what is the distance between adjacent beats?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V_{g}=\frac{\partial \omega }{\partial x} [/tex]

and

[tex]V_{g}=V_{p}-\lambda \frac{d V_{p}}{d\lambda }[/tex]

This is the problem really, Im not sure if this is the right way of tackling it?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I know the answer is 3/2(vp) (I decided after being stuck that I could try and work backwards from the answer, but still no luck). I have no idea how to get there really, I've tried differentiating the Vp equation, wrt to [tex]\lambda[/tex], but it doesn't really help me... but I do get a 3/2 out of it.

I haven’t really attempted the second 2 parts, but looking at them I don't think I understand what to do their either.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted