1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water waves problem

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows water waves traveling between two points P and Q, 20.0 cm apart. A dust particle on the water surface makes 5 complete oscillations in 2.0 s.
    wave.jpg

What is :
    i. The amplitude;
    ii. The wavelength;
    iii. The frequency;
    iv. The speed of the waves ?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v=\lambda f[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    i. amplitude = 4 cm

ii. I don't understand the question. The question states that "A dust particle on the water surface makes 5 complete oscillations" and I think there should be 5 waves, but in the picture there are only 2.5 waves.
    The answer on the book is 8 cm. I guess it's from [tex]\lambda=\frac{20}{2.5}[/tex]

But the answer for frequency is 2.5 Hz. I guess it's from [tex]f=\frac{5\;\text{waves}}{2\;s}[/tex]

So I confused whether there are 2.5 waves or 5 waves.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    Re: wave

the information "5 oscillations per 2 seconds" is not linked to the picture

therefore the 8cm is correct, there are only 2.5 waves

you wrote down the formula you need;

v= lambda f

therefore using the information as you quite rightly said the frequencey is 2.5 Hz, frequency is after all number of oscillations per second

now you have the wavelength & frequency, the speed should be easy to work out

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  4. Sep 6, 2009 #3
    Re: wave

Hi Chewy0087

Ah I get it now. The information "5 oscillations per 2 seconds" is not about the picture but it's still related to the question because we can't determine the frequency just based on the picture.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook