Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waterborne Paint Viscosity Reduction Equation?

1. Aug 24, 2015 #1
    Hello! I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but I am trying to come up with an equation to predict the viscosity of a waterborne paint after it has been reduced 10% with DI water. The following viscosities were measured at 20*C on a Ford #4 cup, units are in seconds. The viscosity of DI water at 20*C is 9.9 seconds on the Ford #4 cup. These data points were compiled while I was trying to thicken a sample.

Unreduced / Reduced 10%
    24.5 / 17.4
    25.7 / 18.0
    29.5 / 19.8
    31.9 / 20.9
    36.5 / 23.0
    39.6 / 24.0

Can anyone help with an equation that would estimate the viscosity when it is reduced 10% with DI water? Right now I'm trying to make a chart in Excel and figure something out with the slope. Not working. Any help that can be offered will be very greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook