Did Nixon die alone and unhappy?

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
In summary: If you need help finding information, then please post a question in the appropriate forum and someone more knowledgeable than yourself will be more than happy to help you.
jackson6612
The Watergate scandal was a 1970s United States political scandal resulting from the break-in to the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C. Effects of the scandal ultimately led to the resignation of the President of the United States, Richard Nixon, on August 9, 1974, the first and only resignation of any U.S President. It also resulted in the indictment, trial, conviction and incarceration of several Nixon administration officials.

The affair began with the arrest of five men for breaking and entering into the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate complex on June 17, 1972. The FBI connected the payments to the burglars to a slush fund used by the 1972 Committee to Re-elect the President. As evidence mounted against the president's staff, which included former staff members testifying against them in an investigation conducted by the Senate Watergate Committee, it was revealed that President Nixon had a tape recording system in his offices and that he had recorded many conversations. Recordings from these tapes implicated the president, revealing that he had attempted to cover up the break-in. After a series of court battles, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the president had to hand over the tapes; he ultimately complied.

Facing near-certain impeachment in the House of Representatives and a strong possibility of a conviction in the Senate, Nixon resigned the office of the presidency on August 9, 1974. His successor, Gerald Ford, issued a pardon to President Nixon after his resignation.
[Wikipedia]

Last month I watched Frost/Nixon I have one or two questions and I would request you to help me with them. Thanks.

Those burglars who broke into Democrats' office were Nixon's men and he possibly paid them through some indirect channel. Their goal was to set up a recording mechanism at the Democrats' office so they could know about their election preparations. The tapes which were used to prove that Nixon was involved in the cover-up was a result of the recording system set up at the white house by Nixon's predecessor(s), not by Nixon himself. Do I have it right? Please let me know.

And did Nixon die like a lonely, sad man?

Physics news on Phys.org
In 1971, President Nixon installed a secret taping system in selected portions of the White House, Oval Office, Old Executive Office Building, Cabinet Room and Camp David. Conversations were recorded between February 16, 1971 and July 18, 1973.

White House
In February 1971, the United State Secret Service (USSS), at the request of the President, installed listening devices in the White House. They placed seven microphones in the Oval Office: five in the President's desk, and one on each side of the fireplace. They placed two microphones in the Cabinet Room under the table near the President's chair. The Secret Service technicians wired all devices to central mixers that were then connected to recorders in an old locker room in the White House basement.

. . . .
http://www.nixonlibrary.gov/forresearchers/find/tapes/learn/history.php

Here is some interesting background - Nixon's Failed Attempts At 'Poisoning The Press'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130192940

Last edited:
Physics Forums is not your personal yahoo.answers site. I know English is not your first language, but that's true of many members here.

I expect you to research and figure more of this out yourself. This is not a Q&A website. This site is for discussions back and forth.

1. Did Nixon die alone?

No, Nixon did not die alone. His wife and daughters were with him at the time of his death.

2. Did Nixon die unhappy?

It is difficult to say for certain, but there is evidence that Nixon was struggling with feelings of regret and isolation in the last years of his life. However, those close to him have also stated that he found happiness in spending time with his family and writing his memoirs.

3. Did Nixon die in poverty?

No, Nixon did not die in poverty. He received a pension and benefits as a former president and also had income from his writings and speeches.

4. Did Nixon die of natural causes?

Yes, Nixon died of a stroke, which is considered a natural cause of death.

5. Did Nixon die before serving his full term as president?

Yes, Nixon resigned from office on August 9, 1974 and died on April 22, 1994, more than 19 years after his resignation and before the end of his full term as president.