What is the Best Insulation for Waterproof Wires in Marine Environments?

• Thread starter HydroGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: It is made of 18/10 AWG stranded steel wire.You would need one wire.The wire can last a few hours or a few days underwater, depending on the severity of the water.
HydroGuy
I need simple 10-awg insulated wire that can be passed through water and not corrode. I'm having trouble finding types of insulation to use. What would be my best bet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
PVC seems OK but I'm not sure if it is guaranteed for submerged application.

One possibility would be to use PVC wire but pass it through medical grade silicone tubing. Make sure that any connections are made above water.

Most PVC-insulated wire will withstand water for a long, long time. How long do you need it to last? What kind of water is it being put into? Is it still, fresh water?

Thanks for the quick responses. Eventually we'll need wire that can be submerged for years at a time, but for now it needs to only hold up for a couple hours, or days at most. The water is freshwater and flowing at river speeds.

Would Silicone Rubber work well? Is it overkill for this application? It is pretty expensive.

Wire is already made for this in submersible pump applications for wells.

You would have to judge how severe the environment is.

There is a type of silicone rubber tubing used as the elastic element in spearguns and this would be cheaper than medical grade, but still not cheap. Probably not an overkill if the application is important.

You can get normal plastic tubing made of polythene. This is meant to carry liquids so it must be waterproof. Good hardware stores would have this.

The other consideration is if the wire can move underwater, it might rub against a rock or get bitten by a fish or a crab claw, so a rugged coating could be needed.

HydroGuy said:
I need simple 10-awg insulated wire that can be passed through water and not corrode. I'm having trouble finding types of insulation to use. What would be my best bet?

Some of the other posters may be making a few assumptions here, so how long of a segment do you need to pass under water? Are we talking just a few feet (at which point, why not just route it around the outside of whatever this is), a few meters, or long distances, here?

Also, are you looking for a single wire, or for several conductors?

Marine store like WestMarine has suitable wire that holds up pretty well in damp/wet environments.

1. What is waterproof insulated wire and how does it differ from regular wire?

Waterproof insulated wire is a type of wire that is designed to resist water and moisture. It differs from regular wire by having an additional layer of insulation that protects the wire from any potential water damage.

2. What are the benefits of using waterproof insulated wire?

The main benefit of using waterproof insulated wire is that it can withstand exposure to water and moisture, making it ideal for use in outdoor or wet environments. It also helps to prevent any potential electrical hazards that may be caused by water damage to the wire.

3. How do you know if a wire is waterproof and insulated?

Most waterproof insulated wires will have a special coating or layer of insulation that is visibly different from regular wire. You can also check the specifications or labeling of the wire to see if it is designed for use in wet or outdoor environments.

4. Can waterproof insulated wire be used for both indoor and outdoor applications?

Yes, waterproof insulated wire can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. It is designed to withstand exposure to water and moisture, making it suitable for a variety of environments.

5. Are there different types of waterproof insulated wire available?

Yes, there are different types of waterproof insulated wire available, including single-conductor, multi-conductor, and shielded wires. The type of wire needed will depend on the specific application and environment it will be used in.