How Does Wattage Affect Rowing Performance and Energy Costs?

In summary, the relationship between the time to complete 2000 meter and the average wattage output in a rowing machine is that the rower does work to cover that distance. The total work is achieved by doing a little bit of work during each stroke. Additionally, if you know the daily and total kilowatt hour units used, you can find the financial value of the energy generated by multiplying the total kilowatt hour units by the fee per kilowatt hour.
pharaoh
I had question in practice book, i answered all the math problem, but i couldn't figure out the explantation part of the question

a) describe the relationship between the time to complete 2000 meter and the average wattage output in rowing machine.

b) describe the relationship between stroke rate, average wattage output per stroke and the final time.

also if i have the daily killowatt hour and the total killowatt hour, can i find the financil value of the power generated by (total killowatt hour times the fee of one killowatt hour)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) The rower does work in order to cover that distance.

b) The total work done is achieved by doing a little bit of work during each of the strokes.

financil?

i meant by financial is money that i have to pay when i generate such killowatt hour

pharaoh said:
I had question in practice book, i answered all the math problem, but i couldn't figure out the explantation part of the question

a) describe the relationship between the time to complete 2000 meter and the average wattage output in rowing machine.

b) describe the relationship between stroke rate, average wattage output per stroke and the final time.

also if i have the daily killowatt hour and the total killowatt hour, can i find the financil value of the power generated by (total killowatt hour times the fee of one killowatt hour)

Hmmm. A watt is a nt-m/sec, I think. The force required is the drag to move along, and the time allows one to find m/s. That should explain it, right?

kilowatt hour is another unit of energy since power is energy per unit time. If one multiplies power by another time unit you are back to an energy unit. So kilowatt hour is an indication of the amount of (usually electrical) energy consumed in performing some task (running some appliances). So yes, if you know the amount of kilowatt hour units that were used you just need to multiply it by the rate (dollars etc. per kilowatt hour) to get the amount you will have to pay for the energy that was supplied to you.

1. What does "Watt" mean when referring to power?

The watt is a unit of measurement for power, equal to one joule of energy per second. It is named after the Scottish inventor James Watt.

2. How is watt different from other units of power?

Watt is the standard unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). It is equivalent to one joule per second, which is also the same as one newton-meter per second. Other common units of power include horsepower, kilowatt, and BTU per hour.

3. What is the relationship between watt and voltage?

Watt is calculated by multiplying voltage by current. This means that the higher the voltage, the more power can be delivered with the same amount of current. For example, a 100-watt light bulb will draw more current from a 120-volt outlet compared to a 240-volt outlet.

4. How is watt used in everyday life?

Watt is used to measure the power consumption of household appliances, such as light bulbs, refrigerators, and televisions. It is also used to measure the output of power sources, such as batteries and solar panels. In everyday life, watt is often used to determine the cost of electricity usage.

5. Can watt be converted to other units of power?

Yes, watt can be converted to other units of power using conversion factors. For example, 1 watt is equal to 0.001 kilowatt, 0.00134 horsepower, and 3.412 BTU per hour. There are also online calculators and conversion charts available for easy conversion between units of power.