1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watt per second?

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    Just trying to interpret some units here. If J/s is Watt, what does J/(s^2) tell me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

W/s is the rate at which power increases. I can't think of an example of where this unit might be commonly used.

Claude.

4. Jan 31, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Something's power is increasing by 1 J/s every second.

5. Jan 31, 2006 #4
    It is the rate at which power is used, as other have said before me. A practical example, you have a power transmission shaft of a car with an applied torque T, with a constant rotational speed, n. You want to determine the power transmitted to the shaft. Then you will have
    [tex] \dot{W_{sh}} = 2 \pi \dot{n} T [/tex]

Edit: Oh, I see you said watts/second. Forget what I said above. That would be the rate of the rate at which power is being used. Well, you could change my n dot to an n double dot, where the n double dot is the rotational acceleration I guess. But I cant see any purpose for doing so. I guess you could interpret it as the rate at which the power being transmitted through the shaft is changing with respect to time, if it has a nonuniform speed, n. If you know n double dot, you can integrate to find the power transmission from [tex] t_0 [/tex] to [tex] t_1 [/tex]

[tex] \dot{W_{sh}} = \int^{t_1}_{t_0} \ddot{W_{sh}} dt = \int^{t_1}_{t_0}2 \pi \ddot{n} T dt [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?