Build Astable 555 Timer 8-Bit Computer Clock with Ben Eater's Project

In summary, the 1/4 watt resistors would be a suitable choice for this project. Not metal film? I don't think carbon resistors have been used for years.
Beanyboy
Am trying to build an Astable 555 timer 8 bit computer clock. Ben Eater's project.

Resistors are specified, but with no reference to wattage. Does anyone know the appropriate wattage for the carbon film resistors please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power dissipation is equal to V2/R or RI2 where the V is the voltage drop across the resistor and I is the current through the resistor. Since you seem to be limited to 5 Volts anywhere in the circuit and the lowest resistor is 220 ohms I would say the 1/4 watt resistors would be fine.

Likes Beanyboy and berkeman
Very much appreciated. Those were the ones I had ordered - phew!

Likes berkeman
Beanyboy said:
carbon film resistors
Not metal film? I don't think carbon resistors have been used for years.

If you order a pack of budget resistors from eg A*z*n, and they come from Far East, unless specified as metal film, they may well be carbon.
Buyer Beware.

sophiecentaur said:

Places like Mouser here in the UK still stock quite a lot (4000+ matches) but I think 1/4W is the smallest. They have Metal film in 1/8W, 1/10W even some 1/20W ranges.

sophiecentaur said:
carbon film are still very much a standard. I use 1000's of them in my commercial constructions
on a day to day basis
You are probably remembering the much older solid carbon resistorsDave

davenn said:
carbon film are still very much a standard. I use 1000's of them in my commercial constructions
on a day to day basis
You are probably remembering the much older solid carbon resistorsDave
Yes. That's probably it. It's a while since I constructed circuits and, where I worked, the occasional carbon resistor could be found in the bottom of a component drawer or on an old circuit board.
Metal film resistors are so good nowadays, for accuracy and stability, what are the advantages of modern carbon film resistors? I could imagine that they could be made low inductance and possibly cheaper??

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Metal film resistors are so good nowadays, for accuracy and stability, what are the advantages of modern carbon film resistors? I could imagine that they could be made low inductance and possibly cheaper??
I use metal film where low noise is important eg audio circuits

where noise isn't an issue, I use carbon film, yes they are cheaper and when using them by the 1000's
the savings in cost start to add up :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
I use metal film where low noise is important eg audio circuits

where noise isn't an issue, I use carbon film, yes they are cheaper and when using them by the 1000's
the savings in cost start to add up :smile:

Dave
Ha! I was never involved in procurement. We just had 'expensive' stuff or else 'very expensive' stuff to play with. No wonder they cut the money to R&D whenever there were cuts in general.
I guess that was 'bad engineering', really.

Likes davenn
Most 555 type circuits use the 1/4 w resistors as noted. In some cases the 1/8 w are fine given the power dissipcaton. When looking at the power dissipation of resistors be careful to look at the temperature rise. The really old carbon composition resistors were fairly large and the with that large surface area did not as hot as the newer, smaller, resistors with the same power rating. Thus a 2 watt carbon comp. with 1 watt of power would have a temperature rise much less than a modern 2 watt metal oxide resistor that has much less surface area. The metal oxide is designed to be reliable at those higher temperatures. However in some circuits you could have a plastic capacitor next to that resistor and would not want it subjected to the higher temperature. So, in effect, not all resistors of the same rated wattage are equal. I remember cases where I had to choose one companies 3 watt resistor to be an equivalent to another's 2 watt resistor. Lots of decisions when choosing components. We found that in most cases it was better to buy the much more precise metal film resistors than the less expensive carbon film resistors.

1. What is a 555 timer and how does it work?

A 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used in electronic circuits as a timer, oscillator, or flip-flop. It works by using three resistors, two capacitors, and a comparator to generate a square wave signal. The timing of the signal can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors.

2. How do I build an astable 555 timer?

To build an astable 555 timer, you will need a 555 timer IC, two resistors, two capacitors, a power supply, and a breadboard. Follow the instructions provided in Ben Eater's project tutorial to connect the components and adjust the timing of the signal. It is important to double-check the connections and use the correct values for the resistors and capacitors.

3. What is an 8-bit computer clock and why is it important?

An 8-bit computer clock is a type of clock signal that is used to synchronize the operations of an 8-bit computer. It is important because it ensures that the computer's operations are carried out at a consistent pace, which is necessary for proper functioning and accurate results.

4. Why is Ben Eater's project a good starting point for building an 8-bit computer clock?

Ben Eater's project provides a step-by-step guide with clear explanations and demonstrations, making it easy for beginners to understand and follow along. It also uses readily available and affordable components, making it accessible for anyone interested in learning about electronics and building their own computer clock.

5. Can I modify the project to create a clock with a different number of bits?

Yes, you can modify the project to create a clock with a different number of bits. However, this would require a different combination of resistors and capacitors, as well as some adjustments to the code. It is recommended to have a good understanding of electronics and programming before attempting to modify the project.