Can Increasing Amperage Generate Arbitrarily Large Power with a Hand Generator?

In summary: If you are able to generate 1 TW of power then you would be able to produce about 1,000 volts with your hand crank.
tdammon
Hi, I am a bit confused about what exactly is being produced when someone uses a hand generator. I know P=R(I^2). Does this mean that if I have a hand crank that can produce 1 amp I can use a 200 ohm resistor and produce 200 watts of power. If this is the case it seems as though producing any amperage can generate an arbitrarily large amount of power.

Physics news on Phys.org
tdammon said:
Hi, I am a bit confused about what exactly is being produced when someone uses a hand generator. I know P=R(I^2). Does this mean that if I have a hand crank that can produce 1 amp I can use a 200 ohm resistor and produce 200 watts of power.

Yes

If this is the case it seems as though producing any amperage can generate an arbitrarily large amount of power.

Yeah, if you were strong enough and the generator could handle in, you could produce thousands of horsepower just by turning the crank. Do you reckon you're strong enough? Good luck with that.

Sounds about right. But of course to produce that arbitrarily high power will require an even higher amount of power from your hand doing the cranking. You will always be limited by the power of your physique. As the resistance is increased the difficulty in turning the crank and maintaining 1 amp will get harder and harder.

You might be able to produce 200 Watts of power - by supplying at least 200 Watts or work to the crank.
Of course, you going to need a good size resistor to dissipate 200 Watts.

Then you figure that with a 1MΩ resistor you'll still be able to force 1 amp through.

If you do, the voltage will be V = RI = 1 million volts. Your hand crank generator probably can't handle that voltage. It will just arc over and start to damage itself.

But you can get one that will hold up. So now we'll choose the resistor.
A common resistor size is 1/4 Watts. For this experiment, that resistor would simply vaporize.
The wattage you are looking to generate is P = R(I^2) = 1 Tera watt.
So you will need to do one of two things, either find a 1 TW resistor or only run the experiment for a few picoseconds.

Now we need to talk about your arm and the mechanical limits of your generator. Are you up to turning that generator with 1TW of power (assuming no Kryptonite).

Hello,

I can understand your confusion about watts, amps, and voltage in relation to a hand generator. Let me provide some clarification.

Watts (W) is a unit of power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. Amps (A) is a unit of electric current, which is the flow of electric charge. And voltage (V) is a unit of electrical potential difference, which is the force that drives the flow of electric charge.

In the equation P = R(I^2), where P is power, R is resistance, and I is current, the power output is directly proportional to the square of the current. So, in theory, if you have a hand crank that can produce 1 amp and use a 200 ohm resistor, you can produce 200 watts of power. However, this is assuming that the hand crank can maintain a constant current of 1 amp, which may not be practical or sustainable.

In reality, the amount of power that can be generated by a hand generator depends on various factors such as the design and efficiency of the generator, the strength and speed of the person cranking it, and the load (resistance) connected to it. So, it may not be possible to generate an arbitrarily large amount of power just by increasing the amperage.

I hope this helps to clarify things. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am always happy to help others understand scientific concepts.

1) What is the relationship between watts, amps, and voltage?

Watts, amps, and voltage are all related to each other through Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law states that watts (W) is equal to the product of voltage (V) and current (I), which is measured in amps (A). In other words, watts = volts x amps.

2) How do watts, amps, and voltage affect the performance of electrical devices?

Watts, amps, and voltage are all important factors in determining the performance and efficiency of electrical devices. Devices with higher wattage ratings can handle more power and perform more work, while devices with higher voltage ratings can handle larger electrical loads. Amps, on the other hand, represent the amount of current flowing through a device, which can impact its overall performance and power consumption.

3) What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is constantly changing in direction and magnitude, while DC (direct current) voltage remains constant in both direction and magnitude. Most household appliances and electronics use AC voltage, while batteries and smaller electronic devices use DC voltage.

4) How do I convert watts to amps or voltage?

To convert watts to amps, divide the number of watts by the voltage. To convert watts to voltage, divide the number of watts by the amps. To convert amps to voltage, divide the number of amps by the watts.

5) What is the difference between real power and reactive power?

Real power, measured in watts, represents the actual power being used by a device to perform work. Reactive power, measured in volt-amps-reactive (VAR), represents the power that is consumed by an AC circuit due to the presence of inductive or capacitive elements. Reactive power does not contribute to the actual work being done by a device, but it is necessary for the functioning of AC circuits.