Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watts to Kelvins

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    How might i convert the temperature in kelvins of a 1/2inch 2" x 2" steel plate when i have 28322 watts of sunlight focused on it for 5min? also if i am stating this question wrong i will be focusing 850 2" x 2" spots of sunlight on a single 2" x 2" surface how might i calculate the temperature in K?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The temperature will be the result of the balance between incoming power (your sunlight), and whatever it will lose (by conduction, radiation, reflection, ...).
    So the incoming power is only one element. As the lost power is usually a strong function of the temperature (the higher the temperature, the more losses there are), we can write: W_out(T). So the end temperature will be the solution of W_in = W_out(T).

The hardest part is always to figure out W_out(T), that is: the lost power as a function of temperature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?