Reflection of a Wave on a Wall: Amplitude Calculation

In summary, the amplitude of a reflected wave on a wall is calculated using the formula A = r * i, where A is the amplitude, r is the reflection coefficient, and i is the incident wave amplitude. The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of an incident wave is reflected by a surface, represented by the letter r and ranging from 0 to 1. The angle of incidence affects the amplitude of a reflected wave, with a larger angle resulting in a larger reflection coefficient and amplitude. Amplitude and intensity are related but different measures of a wave, with amplitude affected by the reflecting surface and intensity affected by the distance. The distance from the reflecting surface also affects the amplitude of a reflected wave, with an increase resulting in attenuation
Lynden L

Homework Statement

A wave with the amplitude 4 cm travels along a rope that is fixed to a wall. The wave reflects from the wall. What is the amplitude of the reflected wave?

Homework Equations

I know it's something with light, could you explian in more detail?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you develop and explain your thoughts on the matter and then perhaps we can comment constructively.

1. How is the amplitude of a reflected wave on a wall calculated?

The amplitude of a reflected wave on a wall can be calculated using the formula A = r * i, where A is the amplitude, r is the reflection coefficient, and i is the incident wave amplitude. The reflection coefficient is determined by the properties of the wall, such as its material and angle of incidence.

2. What is the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient is a measure of how much of an incident wave is reflected by a surface. It is typically represented by the letter r and is a ratio between the amplitude of the reflected wave and the amplitude of the incident wave. It can range from 0 (no reflection) to 1 (complete reflection).

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the amplitude of a reflected wave?

The angle of incidence is a key factor in determining the amplitude of a reflected wave. The reflection coefficient is dependent on the angle of incidence, and as the angle increases, the reflection coefficient also increases, resulting in a larger amplitude of the reflected wave.

4. What is the difference between amplitude and intensity in the context of a reflected wave?

Amplitude and intensity are two different measures of a wave, but they are related. Amplitude is a measure of the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position, while intensity is a measure of the power of a wave. In the context of a reflected wave, the amplitude is affected by the properties of the reflecting surface, while the intensity is affected by the amplitude and the distance from the surface.

5. How does the distance from the reflecting surface affect the amplitude of a reflected wave?

The distance from the reflecting surface can have a significant impact on the amplitude of a reflected wave. As the distance increases, the amplitude decreases due to the spreading out of the wave. This decrease in amplitude is known as attenuation, and it is a key factor in the design of structures that use reflected waves, such as sonar systems.