Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave and particle

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    scitensit in 20th centry suggest that

wave can behaviour like a particle

and particle can behave like a wave

for first propose wave can behave like a particle

but does it ever collide?

e.g photons
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2004 #2
    Waves aren't said to collide, they are said to interfere. This is the hallmark of waves. Interference is basically the interaction of waves which gives rise to interesting phenomena.

4. Oct 29, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Photon-photon collision IS predicted within the Standard Model. It has not been possible to do this experimentally yet because the cross-section is extremely small. In fact, the appreciable range where this can start to be detected is for a gamma-gamma collision. There are many facilities (such as TESLA at DESY) throughout the world that are designing their particle colliders to also able to such measurements.

5. Oct 29, 2004 #4
    See, the thing is, that it depends on freqency . If the freqency of a wave is very high the wave behaves as a particle and at very high freqencies it shows no chareterstics of a wave.

So, basically as the guyz before me have stated, there is no collision in waves there is interfearence, you might want to look up the young's double slit experiment to get a clearer view.

Oh and by the way, i'm not sure, if you asked about waves with waves or waves with particles. And if you asked about waves and particles, then its a good question. Well, a wave at low frequencies would probably just be opposed by mass but with a photon that has no mass, i'm pretty unsure abt it, could someone else explain that? What does happen when a wave and a photon are pitted against each other?
  6. Oct 30, 2004 #5

ic ic thx also from ""the thinker"

that usually wave as particle collides when at high frequency, such as gamma ray =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?