Calculating Velocity and Wavelength of Waves between Nodes | Solved Question

• Thread starter H^w
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the velocity and wavelength of a wave between two nodes. The given information includes a distance of 10 cm between the nodes and a frequency of 30 Hz. The attempt at a solution involves using the theory that the wavelength is half the distance between the nodes, but the asker is unsure if this is correct. After discussing a potential mistake, it is determined that the theory is correct and the asker has solved the question.
H^w
[SOLVED] Wave Behaviour Question

Homework Statement

This is probably going to have a very simple answer, but its a simple answer I don't know. It has to do with figuring out the velocity and wavelength of a wave between 2 nodes. Heres the question.

The distance between two successive nodes in a vibrating string is 10 cm. The frequency of the source is 30 Hz. What is the wavelength of the waves? What is their velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe the wavelength would be half of the distance between the nodes but I don't think that's true.

Physics news on Phys.org
>I thought maybe the wavelength would be half of the distance between the nodes but I don't think that's true.

What makes you think it is not true? Can you draw a diagram to yourself?

Well when I used the same theory in another question, the numbers didn't seem right but I will go back and try again.

Perhaps in the second case you made an arithmetical mistake.

It would appear that was the case :)

I think I've got it, thanks

What is "Wave Behaviour"?

Wave behaviour refers to the way in which waves, such as sound waves or light waves, interact and travel through a medium. It includes phenomena such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by particles in the medium moving perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while longitudinal waves have particles that move parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

How does the wavelength of a wave affect its behaviour?

The wavelength of a wave determines its frequency and energy, which in turn affects its behaviour. For example, shorter wavelengths tend to diffract less and have a higher frequency and energy, while longer wavelengths diffract more and have a lower frequency and energy.

What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet in the same medium, the total displacement at any point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements caused by each wave. This can result in constructive or destructive interference, depending on the phase difference between the waves.

How does the speed of a wave change when it moves from one medium to another?

The speed of a wave is dependent on the properties of the medium it is traveling through. When a wave moves from one medium to another, its speed can change due to differences in the medium's density, elasticity, and other properties. This can result in phenomena such as refraction, where the wave bends as it enters a new medium.