Proving System Decay Time: A Detailed Explanation

In summary, the conversation is about proving the time it takes for a specified system to decay to 1/e of its original value. The speaker has gone through various textbooks and equations but is struggling to find a solution. They mention taking the time derivative of the energy equation and using the envelope function, but are still unsure of how to prove the time it takes for decay. They also mention struggling with understanding the relationship between the E envelope and x-envelope.
SteveDB
hi all.
Some clarification on this would be helpful to get me going in the correct direction.
For a specified system, I'm trying to prove that the time it takes for the system to decay to 1/e of its original value (which works out to ~36.8%), takes a certain amount of time. The actual values are unimportant but the process is.
I have gone through my classical mech book-- 4th ed of Marion Thornton, as well as my diff/eq book-- 5th ed of Nagle, Saff, Snider, and of course my waves and oscillation text-- A.P.French, and cannot decipher what seems-- or I thought would be-- a fairly straightforward problem.
I'm not schooled/skilled in latex, so please bear with my "hand version."
I've taken the time derivative of the energy, and get a m/s^3 function for my acceleration value. With the values for b, k, and m, I do not get the time I'm looking to prove.
m*x_dbldot + b*x_dot + k*x = 0
Where x(t) = (A*exp(omega*t) +B*exp(-omega*t)
The rate given for decay to 1/e is:
E/delta_E
Where delta_E is given by -b*E/(m*nu)
where nu is given by omega_o/2pi.
I've also tried the quality value Q for this. I know I'm missing something, but can't quite identify it.
A detailed explanation of this would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear what you want ...

You know that for this viscous-damped oscillator
the envelope function is exponential, and you
even have the right exponent!

You already have t in the envelope function.

OK, did you forget that the E envelope
and the x-envelope are related by E = ½k x^2 ?

for reasonably small values of "b", the solution is
x approx. A exp(-omega*t)*sin(w_o*t) ,
because the natural frequency isn't changed much.

You don't want exponential growth curve, do you?
(I mean, set your A=0 and rename B=Amplitude)

that's part of what I meant when I said that I'd taken the time derivative of the energy equation.
E= m/2 (x_dot)^2 + k/2 *x^2
Based on my energy of the system, I need to then proof that the time only takes a certain amount of time to decay to 1/e.
E(t)= E(0)/e
Sounds like I'm not the only one that's struggling with the decay function.
I don't know how to explain it any better. that's part of what's confusing me, and why I posted.
Thanks.

1. What is system decay time and why is it important to prove it?

System decay time refers to the time it takes for a system to reach a state of equilibrium after it has been disturbed. It is important to prove because it can provide valuable information about the stability and reliability of a system, and can help identify any potential issues or malfunctions.

2. How is system decay time measured?

System decay time is typically measured by observing the response of the system to a disturbance and recording the time it takes for the system to return to its original state. This can be done through various methods such as using sensors, data collection, and mathematical calculations.

3. What factors can affect system decay time?

Several factors can affect system decay time, including the complexity and design of the system, external influences such as temperature and humidity, and any changes or modifications made to the system. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing and proving system decay time.

4. How can system decay time be used in practical applications?

System decay time can be used in various practical applications, such as in engineering and manufacturing to ensure the stability and reliability of products, in environmental monitoring to track changes in natural systems, and in research to study the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are some potential challenges in proving system decay time?

One potential challenge in proving system decay time is the complexity and unpredictability of certain systems, which can make it difficult to accurately measure and analyze their decay time. Additionally, external factors and changes to the system can also impact the results, making it important to carefully control and monitor these variables during the testing process.