1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave displacement on a string

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    "This figure is a snapshot graph of the instantaneous velocity of the particles on a string. The wave is moving to the left at 50 cm/s.
    [Broken]
    Draw a snapshot graph of the string's displacement at this instant of time."

So it seems to be a quite basic question, where it's pretty much just an integration with working out the displacement from the velocity graph.
    However I don't know how to account for the 50cm/s, and if it's even relevant at all.

I've tried considering v=λf, v=ω/k, and v=-ωA*cos(kx+ωt+θ) (plus ωt because moving to the left) but have gotten nowhere, especially because I don't know how to work out the phase constant θ, and once again don't know whether it's relevant or not.

Help would be muchly appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

50cm/s gives you a reference how long a point was in those velocity regions - you need this duration for the displacement. Integrating a velocity over a length (as a direct integration would do) does not give a length.

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    I'm stuck on this question too. Can you explain exactly how you use the 50cm/s as a reference? thanks

5. May 30, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Consider x=8cm. What is its current velocity? What was its velocity before that? When did the velocity change? How far did it move in that time frame?

6. May 30, 2013 #5
    Maybe I'm confused at the definition of a snapshot graph. My understanding is that each point on the graph represents a particle's vertical velocity (since waves on a string are transverse) at that position taken at one instance of time. I'm confused on how I would calculate the displacement that corresponds to each point on the velocity graph.

7. May 30, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Did you try to follow my steps?

Here are two more intermediate step:
    What is its current velocity? What was its velocity before that? How far does the wave travel in 1 millisecond? How did the velocity graph look like 1 millisecond before? When did the velocity change? How far did it move in that time frame?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted