1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave drag

1. Jun 10, 2005 #1
    Dear friends,

I'd like to know if the meaning of "wave drag" is the same that the resistance of a fluid.

best reggards.

r. aparicio.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I haven't heard of that specific term. They may be referring to the effects of a wave and it's interactions with the surfaces of two fluids, i.e. Froude Number and boat hull drag calculations.

4. Jun 11, 2005 #3

Dear FredGarvin,

I've read it referent to a boat in surface. My question is that if this could happen, i.e. a submarine, or not (one force due to friction and another due to wave drag) or if two are the same.

best reggards.

5. Jun 11, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

This is out of my area, but I believe that a fully submerged body does not produce as much wave drag as a partially submerged one. However, the form drag of the body does come into play more.

Skin friction and wave drag are not the same thing. You will always have skin friction no matter what you do. That is due to the interaction of the fluid with the surface of the hull. Wave drag is due to the energy lost to make a wave.

6. Jun 12, 2005 #5
    ... One is about Stoke's equation, and the other is much complicated, but I don't know if, for an object into fluid, there are this two or only Stokes's one.

Best reggards (interesting picture, your avatar!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?