Sketches for t=0.5, t=1, and t=1.25:for t=0.5for t=1for t=1.25

In summary, the conversation was about a question asking for sketches for different values of t in the wave equation Ytt = Yxx with given initial conditions. The sketches were provided and confirmed to be correct by an expert. The asker's reason for seeking confirmation was to ensure they receive full marks on their work.
JI567

Homework Statement

The question is to sketch for values of t = 0, t =0.25, t = 0.5, t=1 and t = 1.25 for the wave equation

Ytt = Yxx in the infinite domain with initial conditions

y(x,0) = f(x) =
\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if } 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 \\
& 0 (otherwise)
\end{cases}

Yt(x,0) = 0

Homework Equations

Y(x,t) = a(x,t) + b(x,t)

where a(x,t) = ## \frac {1} {2} \ ## f(x+t)
and b(x,t) = ## \frac {1} {2} \ ## f(x-t)

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the sketches I obtained for those times and they are not to exactly measured to the points as I did them in paint. Can someone please tell me if the sketches are correct for this question!

upload_2015-1-7_12-21-36.png

upload_2015-1-7_12-21-54.png

for t =0

upload_2015-1-7_12-22-40.png

upload_2015-1-7_12-22-59.png

for t= 0.25

Attaching the remaining ones in the post below as you can't attach more than 6 in one post.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-7_12-20-46.png
    upload_2015-1-7_12-20-46.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 479
  • upload_2015-1-7_12-23-52.png
    upload_2015-1-7_12-23-52.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2015-1-7_12-25-50.png

upload_2015-1-7_12-26-14.png

for t = 0.5 s

upload_2015-1-7_12-26-57.png

upload_2015-1-7_12-27-18.png

for t = 1 s

Hi JI,

As you may know, PF has great difficulty handing out approval stamps: it could create big problems with teachers, exam committees and what have you. PF homework is meant to help folks when they get stuck; with hints, questions and advice. My personal opinion is you don't need any of those :)

and ;)

BvU said:
Hi JI,

As you may know, PF has great difficulty handing out approval stamps: it could create big problems with teachers, exam committees and what have you. PF homework is meant to help folks when they get stuck; with hints, questions and advice. My personal opinion is you don't need any of those :)

and ;)

Look man can you be more clear? I don't understand what are you talking about. All I asked is if my sketches are correct or not, I am not asking you to do my homework for me.

Yes I can be more clear: I think what you did is excellent -- but you can't derive any rights from my statements.

My post #3 tries to express some reluctance about the "Is this correct" questions.

BvU said:
Yes I can be more clear: I think what you did is excellent -- but you can't derive any rights from my statements.

My post #3 tries to express some reluctance about the "Is this correct" questions.

Cheers mate! I just realized I missed out t= 1.25 s for this question

Can you see the sketches for t = 1.25 s are excellent as well

upload_2015-1-7_16-56-53.png

upload_2015-1-7_16-57-14.png

As I said: you're so good you don't need assistance here :)

You do have me wondering what's the reason you ask for confirmation: you clearly understand everything that's going on, so why this possible doubt ?

BvU said:
As I said: you're so good you don't need assistance here :)

You do have me wondering what's the reason you ask for confirmation: you clearly understand everything that's going on, so why this possible doubt ?

Cheers! I just want to be 100% sure that my works are correct so that I get full marks...so even if I understand everything I want to confirm with people who has more knowledge than me.

1. What is a wave equation diagram problem?

A wave equation diagram problem is a mathematical representation of the behavior of a wave, typically in the form of a graph. It shows how the amplitude, wavelength, and frequency of a wave are related to each other.

2. How do I solve a wave equation diagram problem?

To solve a wave equation diagram problem, you need to use the wave equation, which is c = λ * f, where c is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. You can rearrange this equation to solve for any of the variables.

3. What are the units for the variables in a wave equation diagram problem?

The units for the variables in a wave equation diagram problem depend on the type of wave being represented. For example, the units for c could be meters per second for a sound wave or meters per second squared for a seismic wave. The units for λ are typically meters, and the units for f are hertz (Hz).

4. Are there any real-life applications of solving wave equation diagram problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving wave equation diagram problems. Some examples include predicting the behavior of ocean waves for surfers, understanding the propagation of sound waves for concert hall design, and determining the frequency of seismic waves for earthquake detection.

5. What are some common challenges when solving wave equation diagram problems?

Some common challenges when solving wave equation diagram problems include understanding the relationship between the variables, converting between different units, and determining the appropriate equation to use for a specific type of wave. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the wave and any given constraints in the problem.