What is the Fault in My Derivation of the Wave Equation in a Conductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in finding a wave equation and a result that implies ##\nabla^2 \vec{E} = 0## when inserted into the desired equation. The speaker questions the validity of this result and realizes that the fault may lie in assuming zero charge density in an ideal conductor.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~ingves/Teaching/TFY4240/Exam/Exam_Dec_2008_tfy4240.pdf
problem 2a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi. In problem 2a I was supposed to find a wave equation, however while digging around in maxwell's equations, I found this result:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/16410_10204393293009062_1155886601331102418_n.jpg?oh=44e1d9886a54e34274c00437ed952ca5&oe=5505B805&__gda__=1427040332_aace122d9214b5db9de482b3e631a490

which effectively implies that ##\nabla^2 \vec{E} = 0## if you insert it into the wave equation they want me to find (look in problem 2a to see what I mean), which obviously can't be right.

But where is the fault in my derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, but of course, the charge density is zero in an ideal conductor, is it not? Then what I get out will be nonsense because of that?

1. What is the wave equation in a conductor?

The wave equation in a conductor is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a conducting medium. It is based on Maxwell's equations and takes into account the conductivity and permittivity of the material.

2. How is the wave equation in a conductor different from the wave equation in vacuum?

The wave equation in a conductor includes an additional term for the conductivity of the material, which affects the propagation of electromagnetic waves. In vacuum, this term is not present as there is no conductivity to consider.

3. What are the implications of the wave equation in a conductor for practical applications?

The wave equation in a conductor helps us understand how electromagnetic waves behave in materials with different conductivities. This has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, where the conductivity of materials can affect the transmission of signals.

4. Can the wave equation in a conductor be solved analytically?

Yes, the wave equation in a conductor can be solved analytically using the boundary conditions of the system. However, in more complex systems, numerical methods may be necessary.

5. How does the wave equation in a conductor relate to Ohm's law?

The wave equation in a conductor is related to Ohm's law through the conductivity term. Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. In the wave equation, the conductivity term represents the resistance of the material to the propagation of electromagnetic waves.