1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave equation PDE, can't match initial conditions

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    First post, hooray! Undergrad nuke engineer here, trying to figure out a really annoying PDE. My notation for U_xx = 2nd partial of U with respect to x, U_tt = 2nd partial of U with respect to t, etc.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working a nonhomogenous PDE with homogeneous initial and boundary conditions. My prof told me to first solve it as if it were a homogeneous PDE and then do some other stuff. I can't even get that done, usually I have no problem.

Given U_xx + sin(x)cos(t) = U_tt, 0<x<pi, t>0
    BC: U(0,t)=0 U(pi,t)=0
    IC:U(x,0)=0 U_t(x,0)=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the PDE as if it were homogeneous (U_xx = U_tt), used U(x,t)=X(x)T(t), set X"/X = T"/T = -lambda^2.
    My Sturm-Louisville problems were X"+lambda^2 * X = 0 and T" + lambda^2 * T=0

I started solving for X(x). lambda^2=0 yielded only the trivial solutions. Lambda^2>0 gave X(x)=Acos(lambda*x) + Bsin(lambda*x). The initial condition u(0,t) = 0 made A=0, then u(pi,t)=0 gave lambda = n; n =1, 2,3 ...

The trouble started when I tried to solve T(t). Using lambda^2 >0 , I got T=Ccos(lambda*t)+Dsin(lambda*t). The initial condition u(x,0)=0 gave C=0.

However, U_t(x,0)=0 messed me up. T'(t)=D*lambda*cos(lambda*t). I already had lambda = n; n=1,2,3 from solving X(x). Those eigenvalues do not make T'(t) = 0. I would need n/2; n=1,3,5 to make T'(t)=0 and satisfy the Neumann.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?