Solution for Vibrating String Problem: Wave Equation Problem Explained

In summary, the problem involves finding the solution to a vibrating string problem with given initial conditions and boundary conditions. The correct solution is in the form of a series, as derived in the chapter. However, the given answer in the back of the book uses a different variable and eliminates the (-1)^n term, resulting in a different form for the solution.
Xyius
This is the problem, it says to solve the solution to the vibrating string problem.
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
[tex]u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0,t>0[/tex]
[tex]u(x,0)=x(1-x),0<x<1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}(x,0)=sin(7\pi x),0<x<1[/tex]

The solution form I obtained (without showing my work.) is..

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty [a_ncos(n\pi t)+b_nsin(n\pi t)]sin(n\pi x)[/tex]

I KNOW this is correct because in the chapter they derive the solution and it is of this form. The answer in the back of the book says this however..

[tex]u(x,t)=\frac{1}{7\pi}sin(7\pi t)sin(7\pi x)+\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{8}{((2n+1)\pi)^3}cos(2n+1)sin(2n+1)[/tex]

I know I didn't show my final answer, but it turned out being wrong. I do not understand where they got the first term and most importantly, why "2n+1" appears in the arguments of the sine and cosine terms. That would mean that it would not be following the formula for the wave equation solution, namely..

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty [a_ncos(\frac{n \pi \alpha}{L} t)+b_nsin(\frac{n \pi \alpha}{L} t)]sin(\frac{n \pi}{L} x)[/tex]

Can anyone explain this? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh! Never mind! I see what they did. The variable they used was k not n. They replaced n with 2k+1 to eliminate the (-1)^n that was in the solution.

The only reason you can do this I think is because in the solution I had (which I know now is correct) the coefficient formula has a 1-(-1)^n in the numerator. So all even values of n are therefore equal to zero.

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various types of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical waves.

2. What is the vibrating string problem?

The vibrating string problem is a specific application of the wave equation that involves a string fixed at both ends and subjected to an external force. It is commonly used to model the behavior of musical instruments, such as guitars and violins.

3. How is the wave equation used to solve the vibrating string problem?

The wave equation is used to derive a solution for the vibrating string problem by considering the forces acting on the string and applying the principles of wave mechanics. This solution describes the displacement of the string at any given point in time and space.

4. What are the main assumptions made in solving the vibrating string problem?

The main assumptions made in solving the vibrating string problem include a one-dimensional string, small amplitude vibrations, and a linear relationship between tension and displacement. These assumptions allow for a simpler and more manageable solution to the problem.

5. How is the solution for the vibrating string problem applied in real-life scenarios?

The solution for the vibrating string problem has various real-life applications, such as in musical instrument design and tuning, understanding the behavior of strings in engineering structures, and analyzing seismic waves in earthquake studies. It also serves as a basis for solving more complex wave equations in different fields of science and engineering.