Can the Forced Wave Equation Be Solved Numerically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a wave equation with a forcing term, and considers using Duhamel's principle and a change of variables, but ultimately concludes that there may not be a closed form solution for general f(x,t) and suggests using numerical methods instead.
Tohiko
Hi,

I want to solve the following wave equation:
[tex]u_{tt} - c^2 u_{xx} = f(x,t)u [/tex]

What is the best way to do it? I don't think I can use Duhamel's principle since I have a u in the forcing.
Doing a change of variables of the form
[tex] w=x+ct, v=x-ct [/tex]
Seems to make things worse.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt there is a closed form solution for general f(x,t).

Even

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + [a + 2q\cos(2x)]y = 0[/tex]

doesn't have a closed form solution. (This is known as the Mathieu equation).

Yes, I've worked with Mathieu's Equations before

And actually I think I might be working with some form of them since in one of the
equations that I want to solve I have
[tex]f(x,t) = 1- a \cos (b t)[/tex]
For some constants a,b

Back to the general forced wave equation: can it be solved numerically? If so, can you give me some pointers on how to do that?

1. What is the wave equation with forcing?

The wave equation with forcing is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of waves in a medium when an external force is applied to it. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account the effects of both the medium's properties and the external force on the wave's motion.

2. How does the wave equation with forcing differ from the standard wave equation?

The standard wave equation only considers the properties of the medium, while the wave equation with forcing takes into account the additional influence of an external force. This allows for a more accurate description of the wave's behavior in real-world scenarios where forces are present.

3. What are some common examples of external forces in the wave equation?

Some common examples of external forces in the wave equation include gravity, electromagnetic fields, and friction. These forces can affect the amplitude and frequency of the wave, as well as its propagation speed.

4. How is the wave equation with forcing solved?

The wave equation with forcing is typically solved using techniques from calculus and differential equations. This involves finding a general solution to the equation and then applying initial conditions or boundary conditions to determine a specific solution for a given scenario.

5. What are some applications of the wave equation with forcing in science and engineering?

The wave equation with forcing has many practical applications, including predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in communications systems, modeling the vibrations of structures under external forces, and studying the dynamics of ocean waves. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, geophysics, and signal processing.