1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave equation

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1

i understand how the 'k' and 'w' values were calculated in the above problem. what i do not understand is why 134 s and 20.9m are being take to the -1 power. is the 20.9m being added because the problem states the wave travels in the -x direction? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are not. The -1 applies only to the units s and m respectively.
  4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    That -1 is a dimensional thing, it is related to the units. In fact I think it's a bit unusual to keep the units in midway through a calculation, it would have been better to bulk them together at the end, but don't let it confuse you!

Mathematically A-x=1/Ax

It's just a notational thing, you'll note that it lets you do that rule where you can just add the powers when you're multiplying things together.

e.g. A2*A-1=A2/A=A

so basically: m/s=ms-1
    and: 1/s=s-1
  5. Dec 10, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Omitting units is a shortcut; if you want to write true statements, you have to carry the units throughout the equation. (And being careful with the units can prevent a good number of mistakes too)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?