1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Equation

1. May 25, 2010 #1

bon

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm given that the motion of an infinite string is described by the wave equation:

(let D be partial d)

D^2 y /Dx^2 - p/T D^2/Dt^2 = 0

I'm asked for what value of c is Ae^[-(x-ct)^2] a solution (where A is constant)

Then im asked to show that the potential and KE of the wave packet are equal..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So im guessing the value of c is root(T/p)?since the solution is a function of (x-ct) so this corresponds to D'Alembert..But then PE and KE dont seem equal...

KE = integral from -infinity to + infinity of 1/2 p A^2 e^[4c^2(x-ct)] while PE = integral from - inf to + inf of 1/2 p A^2 c^2 e^[-(4x-ct)]..and these dont seem equal..

any help?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

bon

Any ideas on this?
    To me it doesn't even seem to obey the wave equation - though it is of the form (x-ct) which corresponds to the d'alembert solution.

yxx = Ae^-2 whereas ytt = Ae^(-2c^2)

Any ideas? Thanks

4. May 29, 2010 #3
    Hi
    As you say one solution is [tex]c=\sqrt{T/p}[/tex] but the kinetic energy is given by
    [tex]E_k=p\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\frac{dy}{dt})^2 dx[/tex] and the potential energy by [tex]E_p=T\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 dx[/tex].

I hope this helps.

5. May 29, 2010 #4

bon

But if you look at my post above..it doesn't seem that c = root T/p will satisfy the equation..

Also i cant get hte KE and PE to be equal...

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    Okay, you have done something wrong in the calculations of [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} [/tex]. I have
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-2A(x-ct)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex],
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}=-2A(1-2(x-ct)^2)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex],
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2Ac(x-ct)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-2Ac^2(1-2(x-ct)^2)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex].
    Thus for [tex]c=\pm \sqrt{T/p}[/tex] is
    [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}-\frac{p}{T}\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}=0[/tex]
    satisfied. With the expressions above it's also easily seen that [tex]E_k=E_p[/tex].

7. May 30, 2010 #6

bon

Oh i see where I went wrong.. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook