1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave equations

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does anyone know the equations for these? Or a website that could help? I lost my notes about them and I can't find anything on the internet. I have a worksheet of 15 problems and I only have these three left! :biggrin:

A string is attatched to a post at one end. Several pulses of amplitude .15 m sent down the are refelcted back at the post and travel back down the string without loss of amplitude. What is the amplitude at a point on a string where the maximum displacement points of two pulses cross? What type of interferance is this? How would your answer change if the same pulses were sent down a string whose end is free? What type of interfrence is this?

A streched string fixed at both ends is 2.0 m long. What are three wavelengths that will produce standing waves on this string. Name at least one wavelength that would not produce a standing wave pattern.

2. Relevant equations

That's what I need to know! :cry:

3. The attempt at a solution

I've made a few attempts and it has become clear to me (almost one and a half hours later) that I need help before I continue.

:EDIT: I figured one out on my own!

Any help is greatly welcomed. :smile:
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?