Exploring the Expression of a Traveling Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses a traveling wave described by the formula y_1(x,t) = Asin(kx - wt). It is mentioned that this function can represent various physical manifestations of waves. The formula for a wave traveling in the opposite direction is also given. The sum of these two waves can be written as y_s(x,t) = y_e(x)*y_t(t), with y_e only depending on displacement and y_t depending on time. The identity sin(A-B) = sinAcosB - cosAsinB is used to find the expression for y_s(x,t). The conversation also mentions that cos(-wt) = coswt and sin(-wt) = -sin(wt). Finally, it is concluded
~angel~
Consider a traveling wave described by the formula

y_1(x,t) = Asin(kx - wt).

This function might represent the lateral displacement of a string, a local electric field, the position of the surface of a body of water, or any of a number of other physical manifestations of waves.

The expression for a wave of the same amplitude that is traveling in the opposite direction is Asin(kx + wt).

The sum of these 2 waves can be written in the form y_s(x,t) = y_e(x)*y_t(t). Where y_e only depends on displacement and y_t depends on the time.

Find y_e(x) and y_t(t). Keep in mind that y_t(t) should be a trigonometric function of unit amplitude. Express your answers in terms of A, k, x, w, and t.

I know I'm meant to use the identity sin(A-B) = sinAcosB - cosAsinB, but I don't know how to apply it.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A\sin\left(kx+\omega t\right)+A\sin\left(kx-\omega t\right) [/tex]

Factor "A" and use the identity

[tex]\sin\left(\alpha+\beta\right)=\sin\alpha\cos\beta+\sin\beta\cos\alpha [/tex]

for

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\alpha = kx & \beta=\omega t\\ \alpha=kx & \beta=-\omega t\end{array}\right [/tex]

Daniel.

Ok, I got A[2sinkxcoswt + 2coskxsinwt]. How do you then go from this to finding y_e(x) and y_t(t)?

Nope.Use the fact that

[tex]\sin \left(-\beta\right)=-\sin\beta [/tex]

Post the result.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Nope.Use the fact that

[tex]\sin \left(-\beta\right)=-\sin\beta [/tex]

Post the result.

Daniel.

I end up with that answer and I am using that fact.

For the first bit, Asin(kx-wt) = A[sinkxcoswt+sinwtcoskx]
For the second bit Asin(kx-wt) = A[sinkxcos(-wt)-sin(-wt)coskx]

cos(-wt) = coswt
sin(-wt) = -sin(wt)

Therefore, for the second bit, A[sinkxcoswt-(-sinwt)coskx] = A[sinkxcoswt+sinwtcoskx].

I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong.

Nope.

[tex] A\sin\left(kx-\omega t\right)=A\sin\left(kx+\left(-\omega t\right)\right)=A\left(\sin kx\cos\omega t-\sin \omega t\cos kx\right) [/tex]

Okay?

Daniel.

So it's 2Asinkxcoswt? How do you use that to find y_e(x) and y_t(t)?

If add them,u'll get

[tex]y_{e}(x)y_{t}(t)=2A\sin kx\cos\omega t [/tex]

Do you see which is which...??

Daniel.

Yep, I've got it.

What is a traveling wave?

A traveling wave is a type of wave that moves through a medium, carrying energy and information with it. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of crests and troughs, and it travels in a specific direction without changing its shape or size.

How is the expression of a traveling wave explored?

The expression of a traveling wave is explored through mathematical equations and physical experiments. These methods allow scientists to study the properties and behavior of traveling waves, such as their speed, wavelength, and amplitude.

What are some real-world examples of traveling waves?

There are many examples of traveling waves in our daily lives, such as ocean waves, sound waves, and seismic waves. Other examples include microwave signals, light waves, and radio waves used for communication and technology.

What is the significance of exploring the expression of a traveling wave?

Exploring the expression of a traveling wave is important for understanding many natural phenomena and technological applications. It helps us predict and control the behavior of waves, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications.

What are some current research topics related to traveling waves?

Some current research topics related to traveling waves include studying the effects of climate change on ocean waves, developing new methods for manipulating light waves in fiber optics, and investigating the role of brain waves in neural communication.