1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave form ploting

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was given an assignment of plotting the following equation in Excel for the first 100 terms

2. Relevant equations
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6646/capturesx.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am puzzled by two things

1) I understand I have to use a long list of x points in one column and the sum function for the 100 terms, but how many points are enough?

2)I am not sure what "h" stands for. It's not defined anywhere on the assignment and I doubt it's Plank's constant since the course is on basic electromagnetic waves. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

1) Enough to get a sense of the true shape of the curve. For this problem, you can actually calculate the size of the smallest "feature" of the curve you're plotting. Your x-values should probably be spaced apart by no more than that size.
    2) No idea, they really should tell you that in the problem. Could it be a height maybe? (That's the only other thing I can think of that h is frequently used to mean)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook