Solve Wave Form Problem: Two Buoys 5m Apart, Wavelength 15m

• Thread starter luysion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Wave
In this case, since the buoys are separated by 5 m, we can take x = 5. Comparing this with the given equation y = A*cos(ωt), we can see that the angular frequency ω = 2π/Τ and the phase difference between the two buoys is 2πx/λ. Therefore, the correct equation for the motion of the buoy on the right is y = A*cos(ωt - 2πx/λ), which is option C. In summary, the correct equation for the motion of the buoy on the right is y = A*cos(ωt - 2πx/λ), where x is the distance between the two buoys
luysion

Homework Statement

Two buoys are floating in the sea, separated by 5 m. A wave with a wavelength of 15 m travels from left to right along the line between the buoys. The left-most buoy moves vertically up and down as described by the equation y=Acos(ωt). Which equation best describes the motion of the buoy on the right?

a) y = A cos (wt-pie/2)
b)y = A cos (wt + 90deg)
c) y = A cos (wt - 2pie/3)
d) y = A cos (wt- pie/4)
e) y = A cos (wt + pie/4)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got my answer as C which is correct but I just guessed by finding the wavenumber and timsing it by 5.. i don't understand what x is in the cosine function for wave form exactly and i don't know how to solve this properly! cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The general equation of a propagating wave is given by,
y = A*cos(2πt/Τ - 2πx/λ).
Here T is the period, λ is the wavelength and x is the distance where y is measured.

What is a wave form problem?

A wave form problem involves analyzing the behavior and properties of a wave, such as wavelength, amplitude, and frequency.

What are two buoys?

Two buoys refer to two floating objects used to measure the properties of a wave, such as its wavelength and amplitude.

How far apart are the two buoys in this problem?

The two buoys in this problem are 5 meters apart.

What is the wavelength of the wave in this problem?

The wavelength of the wave in this problem is 15 meters.

How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved by using the equation: wavelength = distance between buoys / number of wavelengths between buoys. In this case, the equation would be: 15m = 5m / n, where n is the number of wavelengths between the two buoys.