Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Wave Frequency in a Medium

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    Hi I was told by physics lecturer that both the wave speed and wave length of light changes when it enters a medium, however I questioned this stating that if both wave speed and wave length changed then frequency must also according to the formula c = fλ. He stated that "frequency is energy and energy is conserved"

I was wondering if I would be able to get a more in depth answer from someone here and correct my lecturers statement.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No joy: teacher is right. You can convince yourself easily if you think of the conditions at the interface. If the one 'vibrates' at a certain frequency, then the other won't 'vibrate' at a different frequency

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

indeed

@Theud try rearranging your formula and fix the frequency so f = c/λ .... you can have any number of variations of c and λ and have the same frequency

Dave

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. Mar 12, 2017 #4
    You mean the same frequency.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oops corrected :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted