Does Frequency Change in a Medium?

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between wave speed, wave length, and frequency in light as it enters a medium. The physics lecturer stated that both wave speed and wave length change, but the frequency remains constant according to the formula c = fλ. Another participant questioned this, but the teacher's statement was confirmed. It was suggested to rearrange the formula to fix the frequency and see that different combinations of c and λ can result in the same frequency.
Theudius
Hi I was told by physics lecturer that both the wave speed and wave length of light changes when it enters a medium, however I questioned this stating that if both wave speed and wave length changed then frequency must also according to the formula c = fλ. He stated that "frequency is energy and energy is conserved"

I was wondering if I would be able to get a more in depth answer from someone here and correct my lecturers statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
No joy: teacher is right. You can convince yourself easily if you think of the conditions at the interface. If the one 'vibrates' at a certain frequency, then the other won't 'vibrate' at a different frequency

Theudius said:
however I questioned this stating that if both wave speed and wave length changed then frequency must also according to the formula c = fλ.

BvU said:
No joy: teacher is right. You can convince yourself easily if you think of the conditions at the interface. If the one 'vibrates' at a certain frequency, then the other won't 'vibrate' at a different frequency

indeed

@Theud try rearranging your formula and fix the frequency so f = c/λ ... you can have any number of variations of c and λ and have the same frequency

Dave

Last edited:
Likes Theudius
You mean the same frequency.

Likes davenn
pixel said:
You mean the same frequency.

oops corrected :rolleyes:

1. What is wave frequency in a medium?

Wave frequency in a medium refers to the number of complete cycles or oscillations a wave makes in a given amount of time while traveling through a specific medium. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is wave frequency related to wavelength?

Wave frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the wave equation: speed = frequency x wavelength.

3. What factors affect wave frequency in a medium?

The main factors that affect wave frequency in a medium are the properties of the medium itself, such as its density, elasticity, and temperature. These properties determine how fast a wave can travel through the medium, which in turn affects the frequency.

4. How does wave frequency impact the behavior of a wave in a medium?

The frequency of a wave can impact its behavior in a medium in various ways. For example, higher frequencies tend to result in shorter wavelengths and more energy, which can lead to more intense or powerful waves. In contrast, lower frequencies can result in longer wavelengths and less energy, resulting in weaker or less noticeable waves.

5. Can wave frequency in a medium be changed?

Yes, wave frequency in a medium can be changed. This can happen through various methods, such as changing the properties of the medium or applying external forces to the medium. For example, the frequency of sound waves can be changed by altering the tension of a string on a musical instrument or by changing the speed of the air molecules in a specific medium.