1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Wave Frequency in a Medium

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    Hi I was told by physics lecturer that both the wave speed and wave length of light changes when it enters a medium, however I questioned this stating that if both wave speed and wave length changed then frequency must also according to the formula c = fλ. He stated that "frequency is energy and energy is conserved"

I was wondering if I would be able to get a more in depth answer from someone here and correct my lecturers statement.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No joy: teacher is right. You can convince yourself easily if you think of the conditions at the interface. If the one 'vibrates' at a certain frequency, then the other won't 'vibrate' at a different frequency

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

indeed

@Theud try rearranging your formula and fix the frequency so f = c/λ .... you can have any number of variations of c and λ and have the same frequency

Dave

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. Mar 12, 2017 #4
    You mean the same frequency.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oops corrected :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted