Wave function collapse for Schrödinger's cat

In summary: The Schrödinger's cat thought experiment raises questions about the collapse of the wave function and the role of measurement in quantum mechanics. The idea is that the cat is both alive and dead until observed, but what constitutes a measurement is still uncertain. Even if the Geiger counter or the cat's observation could be considered measurements, the concept of superposition suggests that the wave function would not collapse until observed by a conscious observer. The experiment also serves as a reminder to look beyond the two possible outcomes and consider the true quantum reality.
GW Leibniz
I have what is probably a very basic question about the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. As I understand it, in order for the counter tube to break and release the deadly poison, the Geiger counter must measure whether or not an atom decays. So, why doesn't that measurement collapse the wave function? And, if that measurement isn't enough, why wouldn't the cat's observation of poison or no poison collapse the wave function?

And if I'm incorrect about the Geiger counter being a measurement, then would I be correct to assume that by the same logic, if you conducted a double slit experiment, and you put photon detectors by both slits, but you never actually look at the wall on the other side, that Schrödinger would suggest that the photon detectors by themselves were insufficient to collapse the wave function?

I get that Schrödinger used this thought experiment as a reductio ad absurdum, but I don't understand why the Copenhagen interpretation would require the cat to be in some undead quantum state.

Physics news on Phys.org
The point of this representation is to look past the two possible results of the experiment (Observed and unobserved) and realize what the true "Quantum Reality" is. The results of the experiment differ based on the circumstances but the statement that the cat is both alive and dead is true before the experiment actually happens.

GW Leibniz said:
I have what is probably a very basic question about the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. As I understand it, in order for the counter tube to break and release the deadly poison, the Geiger counter must measure whether or not an atom decays. So, why doesn't that measurement collapse the wave function? And, if that measurement isn't enough, why wouldn't the cat's observation of poison or no poison collapse the wave function?
We are not sure what constitutes a measurement, at least yet.

And if I'm incorrect about the Geiger counter being a measurement, then would I be correct to assume that by the same logic, if you conducted a double slit experiment, and you put photon detectors by both slits, but you never actually look at the wall on the other side, that Schrödinger would suggest that the photon detectors by themselves were insufficient to collapse the wave function?
All that happens is the photon becomes entangled with the photon detectors, therefore continuing to predict a superposition of left and right slit.

1. What is wave function collapse in relation to Schrödinger's cat?

Wave function collapse is a concept in quantum mechanics which describes the collapse of a particle's wave function, also known as its probability distribution, into a definite state upon being observed. In the case of Schrödinger's cat, the state of the cat (alive or dead) is only determined upon observation, thus the wave function collapses into one of the two possible states.

2. How does Schrödinger's cat thought experiment illustrate the concept of wave function collapse?

The thought experiment involves a cat in a sealed box with a flask of poison, a radioactive nucleus, and a Geiger counter. According to quantum mechanics, the cat exists in a superposition of being both alive and dead until someone opens the box and observes it. This is where the concept of wave function collapse comes in, as the act of observation causes the wave function to collapse into one of the two possible states, revealing whether the cat is alive or dead.

3. Is wave function collapse a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Wave function collapse is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and has been observed in numerous experiments. However, it is still a subject of debate and research among scientists, as it challenges our understanding of reality and the role of observation in shaping it.

4. Can wave function collapse be controlled or manipulated?

At this point in time, there is no known way to control or manipulate the wave function collapse of a particle. However, there are ongoing experiments and research looking into the possibility of influencing the collapse through various means, such as quantum entanglement and measurement techniques.

5. What are the implications of wave function collapse for Schrödinger's cat and quantum mechanics in general?

The concept of wave function collapse challenges our understanding of reality and the role of observation in shaping it. It also raises questions about the nature of consciousness and its influence on the physical world. Additionally, the phenomenon has implications for quantum computing and communication, as well as the study of macroscopic quantum systems.