Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function matching in Graphene nano ribbob?

Tags:
  1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm reading a paper (please find it here arXiv 1003.2193v1) on zigzag Graphene nanoribbon (ZGNR). It discusses the electron transmission through a p-n interface. The wave function matching method was employed to calculate the transmission. What I don't understand is as follows:

In the paper, a quantity, t(y), called the transmission prob. density was introduced. I tried to understand its meaning but failed. It is my understanding that, on the two sides of the p-n interface the transverse wave number takes different values, i.e., ky1~=ky2; as a result, the transverse component of the total wave function takes different forms on these sides; hence, to match the wave functions for every point along the interface, it seems impossible unless the wave function vanishes on one side. I could not figure out how they get around this problem.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks a lot in advance !!

hiyok

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted