1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function question

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not a homework problem, just a general question that I find confusing.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, back in Trigonometry and Classical Mechanics I learned that the equation that best represents a wave. Now, Solving the differential equation that is the wave function gives this:
    [tex]f(x,t)=Y_{m}cos(kx-ωt)[/tex]

What has me confused is the new "phase", specifically that it's not ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex].

I gather that k is the wave number, well, the number of wavelengths per unit distance, x is the distance down the wave of course. ω is now the Angular Frequency (not velocity!), which is simply the number of rotations per unit time more or less. So if ω is 2π over the period, what exactly is that other t representing? Seems like it's unit would cancel with ω which is clearly desired, but I just don't see how this whole thing is working exactly.

I can do any of the rote number-plugging homework problems assigned to me, but I simply don't see the relationship between this newer (for me) wave funtion and the one with [itex]\phi[/itex] that I am more familiar with. I can't even find a resource outside my text pertaining to this equation, all searches yield the equation with phi.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    Phi just shifts time or position a bit, if you set your clocks right you can make phi go away.

Your old function which just involved time might describe the position of a vibrating mass connected to a spring.

The new function might describe a wave on a vibrating string, the height of the string now depends on both time and where you are along the string.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook