What is the difference between the old and new wave function equations?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation for a wave and the confusion around the new "phase" term. The equation for a wave is given as f(x,t)=Y_{m}cos(kx-ωt), with k representing the wave number, x representing distance, and ω representing angular frequency. The new term that is causing confusion is the "-ωt" which is different from the previous equation that included a phase term, ωt+\phi. The conversation also mentions the difference between the old and new equations and how the new one can describe a wave on a vibrating string.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Not a homework problem, just a general question that I find confusing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, back in Trigonometry and Classical Mechanics I learned that the equation that best represents a wave. Now, Solving the differential equation that is the wave function gives this:
[tex]f(x,t)=Y_{m}cos(kx-ωt)[/tex]

What has me confused is the new "phase", specifically that it's not ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex].

I gather that k is the wave number, well, the number of wavelengths per unit distance, x is the distance down the wave of course. ω is now the Angular Frequency (not velocity!), which is simply the number of rotations per unit time more or less. So if ω is 2π over the period, what exactly is that other t representing? Seems like it's unit would cancel with ω which is clearly desired, but I just don't see how this whole thing is working exactly.

I can do any of the rote number-plugging homework problems assigned to me, but I simply don't see the relationship between this newer (for me) wave funtion and the one with [itex]\phi[/itex] that I am more familiar with. I can't even find a resource outside my text pertaining to this equation, all searches yield the equation with phi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phi just shifts time or position a bit, if you set your clocks right you can make phi go away.

Your old function which just involved time might describe the position of a vibrating mass connected to a spring.

The new function might describe a wave on a vibrating string, the height of the string now depends on both time and where you are along the string.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a quantum system, such as a particle. It contains all the information about the system's position, momentum, and energy.

2. How is the wave function related to quantum mechanics?

The wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state, and it evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

3. Can the wave function be observed or measured?

No, the wave function itself cannot be observed or measured. However, the square of the wave function, known as the probability density, can be measured and interpreted as the likelihood of finding a particle in a certain state.

4. How does the wave function collapse?

The wave function collapses when a measurement is made on the system. This means that the system goes from a state of superposition, where it exists in multiple states simultaneously, to a single definite state.

5. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to the wave function?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is directly related to the wave function, as the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we know its momentum, and vice versa.