Phase Shifting Wave Functions: A How-To Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses phase-shifting of a wave function and how it is affected by multiplication with different values such as i and -1. It is explained that phase-shifting involves replacing the wave function with e^(i*phi) times the original function, where phi is the phase. It is then shown that a phase-shift of (pi)/2 can be achieved by multiplying the wave function by i, and a phase-shift of (pi) can be achieved by multiplying it by -1. This is considered a mathematical concept, but is relevant to wave optics in physics.
SpaceTrekkie

Homework Statement

Show that a wave function is phase-shifted by (pi)/2 when multiplied by
i and by (pi) when multiplied by −1.

Homework Equations

The wave function form I am using is function = A(cos(kx-wt)+isin(kx-wt))

But it was not specified which kind I can use

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure even where to begin...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is not a physics question, just a mathematics one :smile:
Phase-shifting by [itex]\phi[/itex] means replacing [tex]\psi \to e^{i \phi} \psi[/tex] ([itex]\phi[/itex] is called the phase, because the phase factor exp(i phi) only changes the argument and not the modulus of psi, so physical quantities which generally depend on [itex]|\psi|[/itex] are not affected by such a change).
So basically what they want you to show, as far as I can tell, is that if you set phi = pi / 2 then that's the same as changing psi for i psi - which is mathematics, not physics; and very easy too.

Thanks, I actually manged to figure it out after I posted, thank goodness. Yeah, I guess that was actually math, but it was for my wave optics class which is physics 306 so I put it here :-)

1. What is a phase shifting wave function?

A phase shifting wave function is a mathematical representation of a wave that describes the phase or position of the wave at any given point in time. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

2. How do you create a phase shifting wave function?

To create a phase shifting wave function, you will need to use a mathematical tool called a wave function manipulator. This tool allows you to modify the amplitude and phase of a wave function to create a desired output. You will also need a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as complex numbers and trigonometry.

3. What are the applications of phase shifting wave functions?

Phase shifting wave functions have various applications in quantum mechanics, including in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. They are also used in other fields such as signal processing and communication systems.

4. How do phase shifting wave functions affect the behavior of particles?

Phase shifting wave functions can affect the behavior of particles by changing their position, momentum, and energy. This is because the phase of a wave function is directly related to these properties of a particle. By manipulating the phase, scientists can control the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

5. What are the challenges of working with phase shifting wave functions?

Working with phase shifting wave functions can be challenging because it requires a strong understanding of complex mathematical concepts and their applications in quantum mechanics. It also requires precise and careful manipulation to avoid errors and achieve desired outcomes. Additionally, the behavior of particles at a quantum level can be unpredictable, making it difficult to accurately predict the effects of phase shifting wave functions.