1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave function

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    A particle moving on a straight line is described by [tex]\psi(x)=\frac{1+ix}{1+ix^2}[/tex].
    Where is the particle likely to be found?
    I took the derivative of probability density with respect to x and equated it to 0. I got my answer to be x=0.643,-0.643,1.554i and -1.554i.
    Please tell me whether I am right or wrong or are there any other methods to solve this problem or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no reason for the expectation value to be at a stationary point of the probability density.

You have to evaluate the integral <x> = ∫ψ*(x)xψ(x)dx = ∫xP(x)dx.

4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    But the question is about maximum probability of finding the particle, isn't it?

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Where is the particle likely to be found" usually means that they want you to find the expectation value of x.

6. Mar 31, 2010 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unless the exact wording of the question was "where is the particle most likely to be found". Then you would find the x which maximises P(x).

7. Mar 31, 2010 #6
    So if the question is where the particle is most likely to be found, is my answer correct.

8. Mar 31, 2010 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x is a real number, how did you get imaginary values?

9. Mar 31, 2010 #8
    By factorising

10. Mar 31, 2010 #9

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Mar 31, 2010 #10
    Now I finally got it, thanks dx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook