Solving an Integral with Wave Packet: Find \varphi(k)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave packet \varphi(k) using the integral of B(k)cos(kx) with limits from 0 to infinity. The integrand is an even function, and can be written as the real part of eikx. This allows for an alternative approach using a Fourier transform. However, it may still involve the use of error functions in the evaluation process.

Homework Statement

Consider the wave packet [tex]\varphi[/tex](k) = [tex]\int B(k)cos(kx) dk[/tex] from 0 to infinity and B(k) = exp([tex]^{-a^{2}k^{2}}[/tex]). Find [tex]\varphi[/tex](k)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After looking up integral tables, i got an expression involving error function (erf) and imaginary error function (erfi) which i don't know how to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integrand is an even function, so you can write

[tex]\int_0^\infty B(k)\cos(kx)\,dk = \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty B(k)\cos(kx)\,dk[/tex]

Does that help?

vela said:
The integrand is an even function, so you can write

[tex]\int_0^\infty B(k)\cos(kx)\,dk = \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty B(k)\cos(kx)\,dk[/tex]

Does that help?

But i will still end up with those error function which i can't evaluate. Is there any method which does not involve the error function?

But i will still end up with those error function. Is there any method which will not involve the error functions?

Not really, but you can evaluate the integral exactly because of the limits.

There is another approach you can try: Write cos kx as the real part of eikx. Then the integral is a Fourier transform, which you can look up in a table.

Last edited:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized wave that represents a group of waves with different frequencies and wavelengths. It is used to describe a physical phenomenon or a mathematical function.

3. How do you solve an integral with wave packet?

To solve an integral with wave packet, you need to use the Fourier transform. This transforms the wave packet from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to integrate.

4. What is the purpose of finding \varphi(k) in the integral with wave packet?

The function \varphi(k) represents the amplitude of the wave packet at a given frequency. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum.

5. Can the integral with wave packet be solved using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for solving integrals with wave packets, such as using the Laplace transform or the method of stationary phase. However, the Fourier transform is the most commonly used method for this type of problem.