Solving Wave Functions: A Tutorial

In summary, the conversation discusses a bonus problem that involves wave functions and operators. The individual provides their understanding of the problem and asks for guidance on how to proceed. They also share their progress so far and ask for confirmation. The other person suggests using the spin functions and determinant to solve the problem and reminds them that operators only act on specific states.
gazepdapi1
[SOLVED] wave functions

I realize that I have to provide what I have done first for every problem, but this one has stumped be. It is a bonus problem provided by my teacher and it is beyond our scope. that's why its a bonus. Just helping me start it would be a big help. thank you

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2531/46008754yl9.jpg

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing out [itex]\hat L_{z,\mathrm{total}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat S_{z,\mathrm{total}}[/itex].

here is what I have so far

Sz(total) = Sz1 + Sz2
Sz(alpha) = +(1/2)hbar(alpha)
Sz(beta) = -(1/2)hbar(beta)

Lz(total) = Lz1 + Lz2
Lz(alpha) = + hbar(alpha)
Lz(beta) = - hbar(beta)

Is this correct?
If so, then what?

In the case of spin, use the fact the spin functions only act on states alpha and beta. I.e. write out the determinant, which for a 2x2 matrix is ad-bc, act on [itex] \psi (1,2) [/itex] with [tex] \hat{S}_{z,total}[/tex] and then see if you get back an eigenvalue equation.
Also remember that [itex] S_{z,1}, S_{z,2} [/itex] only acts on states 1 and 2 respectively.

What are wave functions and why are they important?

Wave functions are mathematical descriptions of the behavior and properties of a wave. They are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of waves in various systems, such as light, sound, and quantum particles.

How do you solve wave functions?

To solve wave functions, you need to use mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. You also need to consider the boundary conditions and the physical properties of the system in question.

What is the difference between a simple and a complex wave function?

A simple wave function describes a single wave, while a complex wave function describes the superposition of multiple waves. This means that the complex wave function takes into account the interference and interactions between different waves, which can result in more complex and interesting behaviors.

What are some common applications of solving wave functions?

Solving wave functions has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behaviors of waves in different systems, such as atoms, molecules, and electromagnetic fields. It is also crucial in developing technologies such as lasers, semiconductors, and medical imaging devices.

Are there any limitations to solving wave functions?

While wave functions are powerful tools for understanding and predicting wave behavior, there are some limitations. They may not accurately describe the behavior of highly complex systems, and the calculations involved can become very complex and time-consuming. Additionally, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle, which can limit the accuracy of wave function solutions.