1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave functions

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] wave functions

I realize that I have to provide what I have done first for every problem, but this one has stumped be. It is a bonus problem provided by my teacher and it is beyond our scope. thats why its a bonus. Just helping me start it would be a big help. thank you

thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by writing out [itex]\hat L_{z,\mathrm{total}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat S_{z,\mathrm{total}}[/itex].
  4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    here is what I have so far

Sz(total) = Sz1 + Sz2
    Sz(alpha) = +(1/2)hbar(alpha)
    Sz(beta) = -(1/2)hbar(beta)

Lz(total) = Lz1 + Lz2
    Lz(alpha) = + hbar(alpha)
    Lz(beta) = - hbar(beta)

Is this correct?
    If so, then what?
  5. Jan 31, 2008 #4
    In the case of spin, use the fact the spin functions only act on states alpha and beta. I.e. write out the determinant, which for a 2x2 matrix is ad-bc, act on [itex] \psi (1,2) [/itex] with [tex] \hat{S}_{z,total}[/tex] and then see if you get back an eigenvalue equation.
    Also remember that [itex] S_{z,1}, S_{z,2} [/itex] only acts on states 1 and 2 respectively.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?