Why Does Wave Group Size Affect Wavelength Range?

In summary, the range of wavelengths involved in a wave group determines the broadness of the wave packet. With a small range of wavelengths, the waves interfere constructively and create a broad wave packet, while a wide range of wavelengths leads to destructive interference and a narrow wave packet. The concept can be better understood through Fourier transforms, which integrate an infinite number of waves. However, understanding this concept may require further study and reference to resources such as "Vibrations and Waves in Physics" by Iain G. Main.
asdf1
Why is the narrorer the wave group, the greater the range of wavelengths involved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to look at the expression for a wave-packet and considered its Fourier transform?

I think it's easier to answer this question qualitatively if you turn it around: why does a small range of wavelengths produce a broad wave packet, and vice versa?

Set up the waves so that they're all in phase at one point (say, the origin). If their wavelengths are nearly the same, they are still nearly in phase and interfere mostly constructively at a large distance from the origin. On the other hand, if they have a wide range of wavelengths, the destructive interference is significant at a short distance from the origin.

so you mean that the smaller the amount of waves, the less they interfere with each other, so the bigger the range of wavelengths?
@@a
still a little confused~

@@a
i haven't studied the Fourier transformation yet, so i don't know how to use it~
but i believe that most complicated things can be explained in simple ways~

asdf1 said:
so you mean that the smaller the amount of waves, the less they interfere with each other, so the bigger the range of wavelengths?

No, I'm talking about the range of wavelengths that the waves have. You're integrating an infinite number of them together via a Fourier integral:

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} {A(k) e^{i(kx - \omega t)} dk} [/tex]

[itex]A(k)[/itex] gives the amplitude of the wave with wavelength [itex]2 \pi / k[/itex]. Although we normally write the integral using in infinite range (limits) in [itex]k[/itex], what counts is the range where [itex]k[/itex] is significantly different from zero.

You might say that a large range in [itex]k[/itex] has a larger number of waves in it (i.e. a larger number of values of [itex]k[/itex]), but that's not really correct because any continuous range has an infinite number of values in it!

@@a
sorry, but I'm still a little confused...

Well, I guess I'm still a little confused about what you're confused about... :confused:

In reality, most physicists would say that Fourier transforms are simple.

However try building a wave packet graphically -- take several waves with different frequencies, and add them, by hand or whatever, and graph the result. Add some more -- big freqs and small ones. As you do this, you will see the interference patterns that ultimately produce a delta function -- make sure that all waves are of the form exp(kx), where k is the wave number, so that the exp functions are all = one at x=0.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

It's not easy to explain it from scratch, and let alone, to understand it. But if you really want to know, pick up "Vibrations and Waves in Physics" by Iain G. Main (). It is explained as simply as it can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! :)

1. Why does wave group size affect wavelength range?

Wave group size affects wavelength range because as the number of waves in a group increases, the distance between each wave decreases. This results in a shorter wavelength range.

2. How does the size of a wave group impact the wavelength of the waves?

The size of a wave group directly impacts the wavelength of the waves. A larger wave group will have a shorter wavelength, while a smaller wave group will have a longer wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between wave group size and wavelength range?

The relationship between wave group size and wavelength range is inverse. As the wave group size increases, the wavelength range decreases, and vice versa.

4. Why do shorter wavelengths have a higher frequency than longer wavelengths?

Shorter wavelengths have a higher frequency because the distance between each wave is shorter, resulting in a higher number of waves passing through a given point in a specific amount of time.

5. How does the wavelength range affect the energy of a wave group?

The wavelength range has a direct impact on the energy of a wave group. A shorter wavelength range means a higher concentration of energy, while a longer wavelength range means a lower concentration of energy.