3D Acoustical Wave Eqn: Closed Soln in Rectangle Coordinates

In summary: You'll find that there are many more modes in the time domain than in the frequency domain, andthat the waveguide cannot support all of them. You'll also see that the dispersionrelationship is different in the two domains.
Watts
I am trying to find a closed solution to the three dimensional acoustical wave equation in rectangle coordinates [itex] \[
\frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial x^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial y^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial z^2 }} = \frac{1}{{c^2 }} \cdot \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial t^2 }}
\]
[/itex]. The wave is propagating along the x axis. I have a generic solution but I don’t have a closed solution subject to the required boundary conditions I need. I am assuming the wave begins propagation at the origin and travels to the end point of L and the amplitude is restricted to the width and height of A and B. I am assuming it is propagating in a rectangular tube. The variable p is the acoustic pressure and c is the velocity of the wave. If anybody could help I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Wave Guide.JPG
    Wave Guide.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to specify carefully what is the boundary conditions to find out what is a possible solution of the wave equation. The boundary condition for the logitudinal (sound) waves is that the pressure gradient at the wall is zero. Non zero pressure gradient means non zero flow of particles (displacement), but there cannot be any particle flow from or into the wall.
for the rectangular waveguide the solution of the wave equation may be assumed as a product of the solutions which depend only on x, y, or z only. So you may find the boundary conditions for y and z axis , and there is no boundary condition for x. But if you want a propagating wave then the wave along x should have a real wave vector.

shyboy said:
you need to specify carefully what is the boundary conditions to find out what is a possible solution of the wave equation. The boundary condition for the logitudinal (sound) waves is that the pressure gradient at the wall is zero. Non zero pressure gradient means non zero flow of particles (displacement), but there cannot be any particle flow from or into the wall.
I am assuming the walls are rigid except for the end of the tube that is at L.

shyboy said:
But if you want a propagating wave then the wave along x should have a real wave vector.

I am assuming the wave is propagating along x. By saying a real wave vector I think you mean a non complex vector.

if you fix the waveguide length, then you have a resonator and boundary conditions for x, too. The boundary conditions for an open end is that there is no pressure change at it.

Watts said:
I am trying to find a closed solution to the three dimensional acoustical wave equation in rectangle coordinates [itex] \[
\frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial x^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial y^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial z^2 }} = \frac{1}{{c^2 }} \cdot \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial t^2 }}
\]
[/itex]. The wave is propagating along the x axis. I have a generic solution but I don’t have a closed solution subject to the required boundary conditions I need. I am assuming the wave begins propagation at the origin and travels to the end point of L and the amplitude is restricted to the width and height of A and B. I am assuming it is propagating in a rectangular tube. The variable p is the acoustic pressure and c is the velocity of the wave. If anybody could help I would appreciate it.

You have to write the general solution (which include all possible waves)
and then impose boundary conditions on that. When you do that, some
of the unknowns in the general solution will take on specific values, and
these specific values will give you the wavenumbers of the allowable waves
in the guide. It will also tell you everything about which wavelengths can
fit into the guide and which ones can't (dispersion relationship).

The general solution will be an infinite summation of Fourier modes in x, y and z
where each individual mode satifys the boundary conditions (and so the infinite sum does as well).

I leave the details to you!

Good luck.

Edit: Transform the wave equation into the frequency domain and solve
it there. It's much easier than doing it in the time domain. In the frequency
domain, the equation becomes

[itex] \[
\frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial x^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial y^2 }} + \frac{{\partial ^2 p}}{{\partial z^2 }} = k^2 \cdot p
\]
[/itex].

With this solution in hand (with the bouandary conditions already imposed)
you transform it back into the time domain in the usual Fourier way.

Last edited:

1. What is the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation?

The 3D Acoustical Wave Equation is a mathematical representation of the propagation of sound waves in a three-dimensional space. It takes into account the physical properties of the medium through which the sound waves are traveling, such as density and elasticity.

2. Why is it important to have a closed solution for the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation in rectangle coordinates?

A closed solution for the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of sound propagation in a rectangular space. This is especially useful in practical applications, such as designing acoustic environments or predicting noise levels in a specific area.

3. What are the main assumptions made in deriving the closed solution for the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation in rectangle coordinates?

The main assumptions include a linear relationship between sound pressure and particle velocity, a homogeneous and isotropic medium, and a non-viscous and non-thermal medium. The boundaries of the rectangular space are assumed to be rigid, meaning that sound waves do not penetrate them.

4. How is the closed solution for the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation in rectangle coordinates derived?

The closed solution is derived using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and the method of images. These methods help in breaking down the complex equation into simpler components, making it easier to find a solution for each part and then combining them to get the final closed solution.

5. What are the applications of the closed solution for the 3D Acoustical Wave Equation in rectangle coordinates?

The closed solution has various applications in acoustics, including noise control, architectural acoustics, and underwater acoustics. It is also used in the design of acoustic materials and structures, as well as in the development of noise reduction strategies in various industries.