How Does Changing String Density Affect Piano Sound Frequency?

However, it might be worth mentioning that in reality, the highest harmonic that a listener can hear is not a whole number, but a fraction of a harmonic. This is because our ears are not perfect resonators and can't pick up every harmonic perfectly. So the highest harmonic may be somewhere in between two whole numbers.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

The fundamental frequency of a piano string with mass of 7g and length 80cm is 261.63Hz.

What is the tension on the string?
If we coil the string duplicating its density(without changing length I presume), what is its new fundamental frequency?
If 16000Hz is the highest frequency audible to a listener, what is the highest harmonic he can hear?

Homework Equations

Wavelength of the nth harmonic: [tex]\lambda\[/tex] = 2L/n
v=[tex]\lambda\nu[/tex]
v = sqrt(T/[tex]\rho[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

The fundamental wavelength is just twice the length of the string, so 160cm.
The given linear mass density is 7/80 g/cm.
using v/160 = [tex]\nu[/tex] and v = sqrt(T/[tex]\rho[/tex])
I get a phase velocity of 418.6 m/s and solving for the tension I get 1533 N.

Duplicating the density of the string while keeping the tension the same gives me a slower phase velocity of 295.97m/s, is this correct? Sounds reasonable from what I know from instrument strings but I'm just making sure.

The new fundamental frequency should be at the new velocity/2L, so 295.97/1.6 = 184.88Hz.

For the last part, I keep the phase velocity the same (295.97m/s) and set it equal to lamda*nu. I know the wavelength of the nth harmonic is 2L/n, so I substitute that and nu = 16000Hz as its given, then I attempt to solve for n which gives me 86.49, so if I round up I would say the 87th harmonic is the highest one that the listener can hear. Did I do this step correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that by "duplicating" you mean "doubling," then yes, that makes sense. But how do you justify rounding the harmonic number up instead of down?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant doubling and 86th harmonic. I'm mainly concerned about the last bit, is it right?

It seems like you did it the right way.

Your calculations and approach seem correct. The only suggestion I would make is to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. For example, in your first calculation for tension, you used a linear mass density of 7/80 g/cm, but then in your calculation for the new fundamental frequency, you used a length of 1.6 meters. Make sure to convert all units to the same system (e.g. grams to kilograms, centimeters to meters) before plugging them into equations. Other than that, your solution looks good.

1. What is a wave harmonics problem?

A wave harmonics problem is a physics problem that deals with the behavior of waves and their interactions with each other. It involves understanding how different waves of varying frequencies and amplitudes combine to form a complex waveform.

2. What are the main factors that affect wave harmonics?

The main factors that affect wave harmonics include frequency, amplitude, phase, and interference. The frequency and amplitude of a wave determine its energy and intensity, while the phase describes its position in the wave cycle. Interference occurs when two or more waves interact and produce a new waveform.

3. How do you solve a wave harmonics problem?

To solve a wave harmonics problem, you must first understand the basic principles of wave behavior and the equations used to describe them. Then, you must identify the given parameters, such as frequencies, amplitudes, and phases of the waves involved. Finally, you can use mathematical techniques such as superposition and Fourier analysis to analyze and solve the problem.

4. What are some real-life applications of wave harmonics?

Wave harmonics have many real-life applications, including in music, acoustics, and telecommunications. In music, harmonics are responsible for the different tones and timbres of musical instruments. In acoustics, understanding wave harmonics is crucial for designing concert halls and reducing noise pollution. In telecommunications, harmonics are used to transmit and receive signals, such as in radio and television broadcasting.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when dealing with wave harmonics problems?

One of the main challenges when dealing with wave harmonics problems is the complexity of the calculations involved. As the number of waves and parameters increases, the equations become more complicated, making it difficult to find exact solutions. In addition, the behavior of waves can be unpredictable, especially when dealing with interference, making it challenging to accurately predict outcomes.