How Does Thermal Effect Influence Wave Velocity in Piezoelectric Materials?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving waves in a piezoelectric body with thermal effects in an infinite domain. The waves are assumed to have a common term and this leads to a characteristic value and vector problem. The main issue being discussed is the fact that all physical quantities are assumed to have the same velocity along a certain direction, which may not make sense. However, in a coupled solution, the speeds must be equal in order to maintain phase-matching.
Turtle Yuan
Hello group,

Now I am solving a problem of waves in a piezoelectric body including thermal effect in a infinite domain.

The physical quantities are involved including displcement{u_1,u_2,u_3},electric potential{phi} and temperature increment{T}. The waves are, in general, assumed as forms that all share a common term expi(k*n-v*t) , k---wave number; n---wave normal;v--phase velocity;t--time. This induces a characteristic value and vector problem. The outlines for this problem are 1. input n--->several velocity---->characteristic vector corresponding to each velocity.

what makes me puzzled is along some direction n, all the physical quantities share the same velocity according to the general algorithm. For my instinct it doesn't make any sense. I don't think displacement , electric potential, or thermal diffusion move with the same velocity.

Do you some idea about such issue? any help or discussion are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general the speeds are different, but if you are looking for a coupled solution then by definition the speeds must all be equal, in order to maintain phase-matching through all space and time.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with the group. It sounds like you are dealing with a complex and interesting situation involving waves in a coupled material. I understand your concern about all the physical quantities sharing the same velocity, as it may not seem intuitive. However, it is important to keep in mind that the wave speed is not necessarily the same as the speed of the individual particles or physical quantities within the material. The wave speed is determined by the material properties and can be affected by factors such as temperature and external forces.

In the case of a piezoelectric body, the electric potential and displacement are closely related, as the former is induced by the latter. This can explain why they may share the same velocity. As for the thermal effect, it is possible that the temperature increment may also have an impact on the wave speed.

I would suggest looking into the specific equations and assumptions you are using in your problem to gain a better understanding of why all the physical quantities may have the same velocity. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or engage in further discussions with your group to explore different perspectives and potential solutions.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in solving your problem.

1. What is a wave in a coupled material?

A wave in a coupled material is a type of mechanical wave that travels through two or more materials that are connected or "coupled" together. This allows the wave to transfer energy and momentum between the different materials.

2. What are some examples of coupled materials?

Some examples of coupled materials include a string attached to a weight, a spring attached to a block, or two different types of metals joined together.

3. How does a wave behave in a coupled material?

A wave in a coupled material will exhibit characteristics of both a transverse and longitudinal wave. This means that the particles of the materials will vibrate both perpendicular and parallel to the direction of the wave's motion.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a wave in a coupled material?

The behavior of a wave in a coupled material can be affected by factors such as the properties of the materials (such as elasticity and density), the type of coupling between the materials, and the frequency and amplitude of the wave.

5. How is a wave in a coupled material different from a regular wave?

A wave in a coupled material is different from a regular wave because it involves the transfer of energy and momentum between two or more materials. This allows for more complex behaviors and interactions compared to a regular wave traveling through a single material.