Thanks again!-Luis Constructive and Destructive Interference at Point Q

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constructive and destructive interference between two loudspeakers, A and B, that are driven by the same amplifier and emit sinusoidal waves in phase. Speaker B is located 2.00 m to the right of speaker A, and point Q is 1.00 m to the right of speaker B. The lowest frequency for which constructive and destructive interference occurs at point Q depends on the path length from each speaker to the observer and the condition for the path difference to produce constructive and destructive interference. This information was not explicitly provided, but the participants are expected to figure it out from the given information.
Luis2101
Two loudspeakers, A and B, are driven by the same amplifier and emit sinusoidal waves in phase. Speaker B is 2.00 m to the right of speaker A. Consider point Q along the extension of the line connecting the speakers, 1.00 m to the right of speaker B. Both speakers emit sound waves that travel directly from the speaker to point Q.

yf_Figure_16_41.jpg

A)What is the lowest frequency for which constructive interference occurs at point Q?

B)What is the lowest frequency for which destructive interference occurs at point Q?

------
Grr... my professor flew through this section in our lecture so I'm pretty lost and have this problem due. Basically all I know so far is that if the amplitude is 2yo or phi is n(2pi) the wave is constructive... But I've no idea where to go from there.

Really, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Luis

Physics news on Phys.org
Luis2101 said:
Two loudspeakers, A and B, are driven by the same amplifier and emit sinusoidal waves in phase. Speaker B is 2.00 m to the right of speaker A. Consider point Q along the extension of the line connecting the speakers, 1.00 m to the right of speaker B. Both speakers emit sound waves that travel directly from the speaker to point Q.

yf_Figure_16_41.jpg

A)What is the lowest frequency for which constructive interference occurs at point Q?

B)What is the lowest frequency for which destructive interference occurs at point Q?------
Grr... my professor flew through this section in our lecture so I'm pretty lost and have this problem due. Basically all I know so far is that if the amplitude is 2yo or phi is n(2pi) the wave is constructive... But I've no idea where to go from there.Really, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Luis
What is the path length from each speaker to the observer? What is that in terms of full wavelengths of the sound? What is the condition for that path difference to produce constructive and destructive interference?

AM

Last edited:
I've no idea, none of that information was provided...
Did you look at the picture?

I've no idea, none of that information was provided...
Did you look at the picture?
That's because you are expected to figure it out from the information that is provided.

Ahh... I'm sorry AM, I see what you're saying now.

I'll work on it a bit.

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in the waves combining to form a new wave or cancelling each other out.

2. How does wave interference occur?

Wave interference occurs when two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet at the same point in space. This can happen with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the types of wave interference?

The two main types of wave interference are constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine to form a larger wave, while destructive interference occurs when two waves cancel each other out.

4. What are some real-world examples of wave interference?

There are many examples of wave interference in the world around us. Some common examples include the interference patterns seen when throwing two rocks into a pond, the sound produced by musical instruments, and the colors seen in soap bubbles.

5. How is wave interference important in science and technology?

Understanding wave interference is crucial in many fields of science and technology. It is used in engineering to design structures that can withstand the destructive effects of wave interference, and in telecommunications to ensure that signals do not interfere with each other. It also plays a key role in the study of wave behavior in areas such as optics, acoustics, and seismology.